Break Down The LS Options

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by ultimateoffroad, Jun 28, 2017.

1. ultimateoffroad

ultimateoffroad Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Ok, I am new to the LS motors but thinking of going that route in the 71.

Question is what are the options? Which to avoid and which are preferred?

Of course budget is tight but prefer to do it right first time.

2. reedld

reedld Veteran Member

lots of possibilities.
    1st, LS stuff costs a lot more than SBC gen I stuff. Going the 5.3 truck engine sounds great and cheap, but by time you buy oil pan, intake and accessories...I feel you could have bought the LS1 from a Fbody. The truck intake does not fit well or at all under the hood unless you have a large cowl. The fbody, vette and GTO accessories fit best. There are some aftermarket companies that make decent accessory brackets too.

If I was you, I'd look for a complete LS Camaro or Firebird. That way you have almost everything you need. The stock manifolds do not fit our 2nd gens...at least no where have I read except one year...one year only...1998 fbody. Lots of higher mileage LS Fbodies out there. A guy I know traded a 400 Pontiac with 4 spd and $ for a complete running 99 z28. He used what he needed, parted out the fbody and made some money.

3. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

Avoid part and pieces. Buy a complete engine. You can be happy with a LS1, LS2, but I would go LS3

4. reedld

reedld Veteran Member

I should have also added that the fbody or Holley oil pan fits best. Cts-v will fit but does hang a little below crossmember. Stay away from LH8/muscle car/hummer H3 pan (same pan)-hangs dangerously low. Holley has done a lot for the swap people. They have introduced many great products for LS swaps.

5. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

^^ forget made in China Holley.
    OEM pan from a 1998-2002 and run OEM accessories. As for motor mounts but the ones on EBay and custom make the trans crossmember

6. 70ZED

70ZED Veteran Member Gold Member

Buy this months' Chevelles magazine, there's a great breakdown on the LS series of engines