Bright upper & lower grille

Discussion in 'Body Restoration' started by MyBerlinetta, Apr 28, 2012.

1. MyBerlinetta

MyBerlinetta New Member

Apr 23, 2012
    Las Vegas
    I have been reading through the Camaro data and it said that my 1979 Camaro Berlinetta came with a bright upper and lower grille. Does that mean it was chrome or painted the same color as the car? I have been trying to locate some pictures on the web, but none have a good close-up of what the grilles should look like. Currently the grille has been painted grey (original color is light blue), but I would like to take it back to stock. Appreciate any help or advice you can provide.

2. 76 camaro car 1

76 camaro car 1 Veteran Member

Apr 23, 2010
    St.Augustine,Florida
    I am pretty sure that means bright argent which is a silver color. Not chrome.

3. MyBerlinetta

MyBerlinetta New Member

Apr 23, 2012
    Las Vegas
    Thanks 76 Camaro appreciate the info

4. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 26, 2004
    Bloomington, MN
    I'm not sure about the 79 but I thought the 80-81 Berlinetta had a plated lead edge on the horizontal ribs in the grill.
    However.... The lower grill was the same as the sport coupe, IIRC.

I haven't seen a decent looking factory Berlinetta grill in years and I can't remember what the lower grill looked like either..

For 79, I think it was the same as the Sport Coupe grill.... A silver/grey color.

5. MyBerlinetta

MyBerlinetta New Member

Apr 23, 2012
    Las Vegas
    Thanks Twisted Metal. I'm looking at returining it back to factor specs for now or at least as close as possible. I tried attaching a pic but it was to big. Once I start the project I might open a project status thread. Appreciate all the good information you guys provide.

6. jroach

jroach Veteran Member

Apr 9, 2007
    petersburg MI
    i will get a pic of mine tomorrow. po had a bunch of nos parts with the car when i bought it.

7. 76 camaro car 1

76 camaro car 1 Veteran Member

Apr 23, 2010
    St.Augustine,Florida
    This is a 79 berlinetta grill. Its kind of hard to tell much though because its dirty.[​IMG]

8. MyBerlinetta

MyBerlinetta New Member

Apr 23, 2012
    Las Vegas
    Thanks again 76, really appreciate the pic