Brownish stripe on my thumb nail

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by mattman, Mar 17, 2010.

1. mattman

mattman Veteran Member

Mar 14, 2002
    So Cal
    I noticed a strange looking brown streak on my right thumb yesterday. It is a uniform 2 mm wide stripe and goes from my cuticle to the edge of the nail. I did a little search on line and what I found out has really freaked me out. I guess it could be an early sign of Melanoma. I have an appointment with a dermatologist tomorrow morning and I guess I'll know soon. Anyone else ever heard of this, seen it or had it?

2. Dave Nelson

Dave Nelson Veteran Member Gold Member

Dec 19, 2003
    Vineland N.J USA
    I also have it on my right thumb , but it's been there for at least 35 years, looks like a growth pattern.

3. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 26, 2004
    Bloomington, MN
    Are you a big fan of Sheryl Crow?

:screwup:

Seriously.... I hope it's nothing.

I've had a few odd streaks appear in my nails too before.... More in my toes than hands.
    Does there appear to be split in the surface, a streak in the nail or something under it?

4. mattman

mattman Veteran Member

Mar 14, 2002
    So Cal
    That's funny twisted. No I use plenty of t.p. No splits. It's like it is painted on the nail. Strange.

5. ATM

ATM Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Oct 10, 2009
    Morris, Illinois
    Definitely get it checked out. Some things it is best to not screw around with.

6. mattman

mattman Veteran Member

Mar 14, 2002
    So Cal
  7. POS71RS

POS71RS Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Aug 21, 2002
    Central Coast, CA
    I've never heard the melanoma thing, so definetly get it checked out.
    But, I've injured my finger before where I slammed something on the very back part of my nail, ie, just where the skin begins to cover the nail. As the nail grew out, I had a thin brown line, and a thicker line run a racing stripe from the nail tip to the nail bed.
    Happened once on my toenail too. Something heavy landed on it. Grew out as a raised, dark brown stripe.

8. dwright406

dwright406 Veteran Member

Jul 26, 2004
    Lake Jackson Tx
    I slammed my left thumb in the door when I was about 8 years old, soon after I lost that nail.
    When it grew back it had a line just like that right down the middle, looks just like your pic.
    25 years later it still has that line in it.

9. mattman

mattman Veteran Member

Mar 14, 2002
    So Cal
    Wow, that is good to know man. I just never paid any attention to it so I don't know how long I have had it. I hope that's what it is. Thought of cancer sure ruins your day.

10. Todd80Z28

Todd80Z28 Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jun 11, 2002
    Northern VA