Buckeye79 and son not Camaro but S10 project "stretch"

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by buckeye79, Dec 31, 2015.

1. buckeye79

buckeye79 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I know it is not a Camaro, but I though I would share it over here as well. We have been posting at s10forum.com. I have two sons and have always hoped that one would catch the restoration bug like I did many years ago. Well my youngest son was out in the garage with me alot as I was working on the Camaro, but I never tried to force him to help me because I didn't want to scare him away. To make a long story short, he (Jake) got his drivers license this past April and we actually started looking for his first car last November. He really wanted a truck and liked the S10 but we couldn't find anything that wasn't completely rotted out, so after talking it over with him and his mom we decided that we would pick one that was sound mechanically and wasn't completely rotted then pull it in the garage and fix it up as his first project. We ended up with a crew cab truck but once we brought it home we found that the bed was just gone beyond repair. After trying to find without any luck a decent crew bed that wasn't toast and wasn't $1000 plus on the price, we almost scrapped the project. Then it was almost like we came up with the same exact idea at the same time, why not stretch the frame and do a 6' bed. I took the idea to my wife because I knew that this was going to take much more time than what we originally had planned. She was shocked because Jake had said the same thing to her earlier the same day but was afraid I wouldn't go for it. At this point we knew what we had to do. Now I know what you are thinking- why put this much time and money into an S10 heck I thought the same thing myself a few times, but I have to tell you that the quality time that I have got to spend with my son and the love for cars that has been instilled in him is priceless there is not a dollar value that can be put on that.

Here is what we started with:
    [​IMG]

2. buckeye79

Tear down started. We were actually hoping to have this done in April but as you will see it has been over a year and we still have not finished it:

[​IMG]

3. buckeye79

The crew cab frame had some rot, so we found a nice extended cab frame for the stretch. Here is the frame cut and stretched 18" we are just starting to get everything squared and measured so that we can start welding.

[​IMG]

4. buckeye79

Frame welded:

[​IMG]

5. buckeye79

Then we made fish plates to go over the welds on the inside of the rails:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. buckeye79

As you can see in the above pictures, this was a fully boxed frame. We cut the inner part of the box out 6" beyond the welds on each end made some new pieces to finish out the box and add additional strength to the splice section the new pieces were completed welded around the entire perimeter:

[​IMG]

7. buckeye79

Then we had to fabricate new rear mounts for the cab, because they are different between the crew and extended cab frames:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. buckeye79

We then mounted the frame to my rotisserie cleaned it up real well used ospho to stop any rust that may have been left in any pits from spreading. Once the ospho was neutralized we sanded the frame one more time and Jake shot it with a couple coats of zero rust.

[​IMG]

9. buckeye79

Frame and suspension parts painted:

[​IMG]

10. buckeye79

Motor and transmission back on new frame:

[​IMG]