Budget Dual Fan Controller Setup / Taurus Fan Setup

Discussion in 'Electrical Systems' started by Aceshigh, Nov 20, 2010.

1. Aceshigh

Aceshigh Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Boondocks
    Most dual fans require a controller or relay setup of some sort to operate.
    Plus, you'll need 2 different temp switches to turn them on if they are different speeds.
    So most of the triple relay setups sold out there you lose 1 relay, you lose it all from what I was told.
    That is even the Hollister setup which someone sent me all the information for.

So this is the budget setup to ensure the lowest cost up front and best
    results for both a dual fan setup, or a Taurus 2 speed fan setup.

#1. You need 2 temp switches for 2 speeds.
    Solution = BMW 91 / 99* C (180/195*F) dual temp switch Part # 61311378073< $11 from Rock Auto - can't beat that.
    One single temp switch instead of 2, just gotta drill and tap a brass adapter fitting to accept the M14 x1.5 thread.
    http://www.nastyz28.com/forum/showthread.php?t=196209

#2. Heavy duty controller for 2 speeds. (Thanks Onovakind67)
    94-97 850 Volvo vehicles used a heavy duty relay dual fan controller part # 1398845
    http://www.nastyz28.com/forum/showthread.php?t=192920&highlight=volvo

Volvo Controller = $10-$20 Salvage yard or ~$50 new.
    BMW Dual Temp Switch = $11

[​IMG]

Here's the simple schematic ,
    You can optionally wire in 2 LED's so you know when each fan is on.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 30, 2013
  2. Turbo70Camaro

Turbo70Camaro Veteran Member Gold Member

Jan 7, 2005
    so cal
    Aces thanks for the temp switch part numbers and the write up.

3. earnhardtgm3

earnhardtgm3 Veteran Member

Dec 18, 2007
    Camaro Country,GA

I can find the relay,but not the plugs that go with it.Do you have part numbers for the relay plugs.Thanks fir the great info

4. green 1977

green 1977 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Aug 18, 2003
    On Wisconsin!
    Nice write up Ace..... I am also curious on the plugs for the wires

5. onovakind67

onovakind67 Veteran Member

Jul 8, 2001
    Fairfield, CA
    Herein lies the advantage of extracting the relay from a used car - you can get all the associated plugs and wiring. Should I start a collection?

6. green 1977

green 1977 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Aug 18, 2003
    On Wisconsin!
    LOL that would be nice;)

7. earnhardtgm3

earnhardtgm3 Veteran Member

Dec 18, 2007
    Camaro Country,GA

Start collecting..................LOL

8. masparks

masparks Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Nov 7, 2006
    Gas, Kansas
    I so want to do this but I suck when it comes to elect. stuff!!!

9. InitialD

InitialD Veteran Member

Jun 18, 2001
    Wichita, Ks
    I like this thread. I'm digging the hollister setup, which I did not know about. masparks--I'm in wichita, and have put my junk away for the winter. But when spring comes around, if you want to meet up, I've got a buddy who is an electrical guru. We are installing electrical fans, cutouts and flamethrower exhaust when it warms up. ;)

10. Thoroco

Thoroco New Member

Dec 11, 2010
    Houston
    I'm Dave Chapman from Hollister Road Company and I just to clear up a few questions on the Taurus / Mark VIII relay kit we make. It’s really 2 independent controls in one relay block, one for low and one for high. If you lose one relay the system still has either the high or low depending on which goes out. The high side has 2 relays wired in parallel so you can lose one and still be operable. One of the design goals was to be serviceable on the road so if you did lose a relay you could in a pinch stop at any parts store and get a suitable relay and be on your way. We did look at the Volvo relay and it’s a good relay but it’s very pricey at a parts store should it fail while on your way to a meet or out touring. The other detractor for the Volvo relay was it couldn’t power the Mark VIII fan which this kit does.

The fan kit does not power both sides of the fan at the same time. It either on high or low or off. If you’re cooling on the low side and the PCM kicks the A/C on then the low shuts off and the high side kicks on. Once the A/C compressor stops the low comes back on if needed. Another aspect of the design was to be as simple as possible so the guy that isn’t that familiar with wiring or doesn’t want to go junk yard shopping can connect this kit almost like plug and play. It does use 2 sensor switches and that can be a problem with some engines when there aren’t enough ports in the head or manifold. But on an LSx you use the stock sensors and its works quite well.

I’d be glad to answer any question on cooling you may have and you don’t need to buy anything from me to get advice on your cooling problems.