Budget Dual Fan Controller Setup / Taurus Fan Setup

Discussion in 'Electrical Systems' started by Aceshigh, Nov 20, 2010.

1. Pete-z

Pete-z New Member

2. Pete-z

Pete-z New Member

Thank you for the Volvo wires there Clay.

3. Pete-z

Pete-z New Member

Have to clarify that the TS-139 and TS-280 are temp Switches not temp sensors and do the same function as the BMW TS-296 and TS-546.Also these are Standard Motor part #s just for reference.
    Here are some connectors I also found
    http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/SiteSearch/893906231/ES426288/
    http://www.ecstuning.com/ES424449/
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-THERMAL...93906231-893-906-231-/251412491406?rmvSB=true
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/THERMAL-SWI...Parts_Accessories&hash=item3cd9dd885f&vxp=mtr
    BMW con.

http://www.amazon.com/Genuine-BMW-Electrical-Socket-Wires/dp/B009GNAYBW

4. clay's70

clay's70 Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

;) ;) Thanks for your addition to the thread!!

5. NorCal_71

NorCal_71 Veteran Member

This is a great thread!
    I picked up a Taurus fan a while ago to replace my auto parts store electric fan because I was having a big problem with overheating while idling in traffic.
    I decided that I better upgrade the alternator also to handle the load so I picked up a CS-130 alternator.
    They both are finally installed and I have to say that I am very impressed, the fan is wired through a Volvo dual relay but for now I am only using low speed. This fan pulls plenty of air through the radiator to keep the temps down without a hint of a problem.
    The CS-130 alternator barely even flinches when the fan kicks on, and puts out over 13 volts while idling in gear with the fan running!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. junkyardZ28find

junkyardZ28find Veteran Member

So I'd like to confirm for those who haven't yet tried the BMW switch that yes apparently according to other members on the AussieV8 site that the switch does indeed maintain closed contacts on low speed when high speed is also requested. So, I order to run a BMW switch, you need to be using a fan setup that is wired in series for low and high speed. This means using dual fans-any pair of OEM dual fans can be wired in series for low and high speed using 3 relays and this BMW switch to trigger them. For a traditional dual speed SINGLE fan, this BMW switch won't work-you can't have both fan inputs powered at the same time....for this the Volvo relay or a dedicated 3-relay setup should be used. I'm going to try to download some various temp switch on/off specs from Tridon as they appear to offer a whole host of similar designed switches to the BMW but are used on single fans....such as Audi for example. They may be a 3-wire switch with low opening when high closes....if such an animal exists, that would make it much simpler wiring wise but may so be a European thing only-not sure at this point.

7. onovakind67

onovakind67 Veteran Member

[​IMG]

If I use a BMW dual switch, or two separate switches, the Volvo relay will run the dual speed single fan in any case. No need for three relays or special switches.

8. junkyardZ28find

Yes...after looking at it that does work using the Volvo relay with it-I was wrapped up with the dual speed/series wired dual fan setups w/o using the Volvo relay. Its true that the Volvo relay doesn't care either way since it acts as a DPDT switch of sorts. The bad thing (eventually) is that there doesn't appear to be anything else like it-once its 100% obsolete, that's it. No more trick 2-speed relay to be had new anyway. I've seen Striebel versions and a couple others so there were off brand companies that mimic the Volvo one-I've found a few of the terminals and seals for it but I have not sourced the large female terminals....still looking tho....tuff to dig through and find online. The houses are not easy to locate either....the relays themselves can be found new @ $60-70 all day long which is still a good deal but does one no good without the specific terminals/seals and connectors.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2015
  9. onovakind67

onovakind67 Veteran Member

I don't see the Volvo relays going obsolete anytime soon. Volvo takes great pride in the longevity of their cars and has excellent parts support. Since my cooling fan doesn't come on very often, I think my $12 relay will outlast me.

No one knows how far a Volvo can go. The current Guinness World Record 'Highest Car Mileage' is held by a 1966 Volvo P1800 which has covered more than 3,572,342 km! Keeping a car in shape for such a mileage calls for a secure supply of spare parts, just like genuine classic parts. That's why owners of older discontinued Volvos all over the world can have their parts ordered from regular Volvo dealers to ensure the original performance of their car. In fact, since material technologies evolved over the years, the parts delivered today actually have a higher quality than when the car was in production. For example, synthetic rubber is replacing natural rubber, providing a higher resistance against oil and UV rays.

http://web.origin.volvocars.com/au/...ages/volvo-genuine-parts-and-accessories.aspx

10. junkyardZ28find

So just checking on what I could find for parts....looks like the all-in-one BMW connector (connector head and 3 pigtails) is $28 on Amazon and the lower temp BMW switch (TS546) is about $25 on rockauto.com so that's not bad at all when combined with the Volvo relay. I think I'll try this out on my next 2-speed fan. I have some aluminum t-stat housings with ported vacuum switch bosses that were never drilled-perfect for drilling/tapping for the 14mm threads.