Budget Dual Fan Controller Setup / Taurus Fan Setup

Discussion in 'Electrical Systems' started by Aceshigh, Nov 20, 2010.

1. Fbird

Fbird Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

what I have found in the outside world as I am doing this very thing.....NOW.

BMW dual switch P/N 61318376440 (80/88 c) $25 rock auto of course
    BMW REPAIR connector kit P/N 61132359998 $15 ecstuning

all you need is wire and a 14 x 1.5 mm threaded bung.

Seems you can't get the 90 connector anymore for the old switches (big round terminals) soooo... the above switch is for the NEWER BMW's using small square terminals. :)

Last edited: Jun 28, 2015
  2. junkyardZ28find

junkyardZ28find Veteran Member

I have that setup on my 86 K10 Shortbox truck project. I found the aluminum bungs and I welded one to a 2.5" tall aluminum t-stat spacer. Its nice being able to use a single dual temp switch but all the parts to make it work costs more than a 2 switch GM style setup but its cool nevertheless.

I've researched this awhile back as an option for my customers-if you search the boneyards for turbo Saab's some years have an upper coolant adapter T that uses a 14mm x 1.5 dual temp switch also...different design but same function. Also, some VW's use a dual temp switch which threads into the radiator as well. The dual temp switch stuff from the BMW's are actually pretty easy to find....the wiring may be suspect though....but for the most part, I'd say grab it all from a junkyard for probably $10 or less and if it works well enough, then spring for all new stuff for the sake of longevity. I use that BMW switch to activate my 3-speed resistor harness to run a 2010 F150 dual 14" fan setup-works pretty well together so far!

3. Fbird

exact reason to go ahead and spend $45 and get 100% new good to go stuff, including a connector with NEW terminals so you don't have ot splice... merely use the wire you want to and (using very good crimp tool) crimp terminals on ... :)

4. cmh_brickster

cmh_brickster New Member

Hello. I was interested in this thread because of my project on my VW and I wanted to know regarding the thermoswitch if the low speed switch remains closed when the temperature rises high enough to close the high speed switch. I did a test on my car by raising its coolant temperature high enough and I have confirmed that the low speed and high speed switches inside the thermoswitch are both closed when the temperature rises high enough to call for high speed. This post will assist anyone who is looking for this information. Thank you Scott for your information.

5. CAMeeks

CAMeeks Veteran Member

The way I wired mine up was I had a first relay supply on/off to the 2nd relay. The second relay would stay off and just let power flow through the center pin to low speed. When the second relay got the trigger for high speed it would turn on and switch power to high speed side. Basically using all 5 pins on the second relay.

6. Fbird

You are correct... BOTH switches are CLOSED when the temp reaches 210 degrees F (99C). that is why many of us use the VOLVO controller. It will work both the low and high speeds with NO other creative wiring needed. Without said controller you ned up with 2 or3 relays, one wired NO, the other NC and the third as a initial power. Not the end of the world difficult BUT ...... couuld be

7. clay's70

clay's70 Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

8. junkyardZ28find

junkyardZ28find Veteran Member

Holy krike!! Now we know who has the market cornered! Lol

9. clay's70

clay's70 Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sold 6 on ebay this month--got 3 left right now--lol

10. RS_SS350

RS_SS350 Veteran Member

I've got a fan for sale if anyone needs it, mark viii or Taurus fan I think. Bought it so long ago... Check in the swap meet