Budget Dual Fan Controller Setup / Taurus Fan Setup

Discussion in 'Electrical Systems' started by Aceshigh, Nov 20, 2010.

1. Scott51

Scott51 Veteran Member

Not sure I'd call a setup that GM's used on 100,000's of cars "creative wiring" and a single Volvo controller will only get you one speed if you're running dual fans (the subject of my original post)

No doubt the Volvo/BMW is a great setup with a big single fan, but if you want dual speed, dual fans, I think the GM style parallel/series circuit that was used in LS1's is a better alternative that can also be put together easily/cheaply with OEM parts.

2. Fbird

Fbird Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

must have mis-read something as I was simply refereing to a single DUAL SPEED FAN (ie the Taurus, or Mark VIII) Not sure what GM put out as it doesn't really rank in the BAD ASS FAN catagory.

3. Scott51

Scott51 Veteran Member

Yeah I went with dual fans from an Australian EL - AU Ford Falcon (more common than Taurus' in this part of the world).

Apparently these are the fans of choice for many guys with 1000HP+ burnout monsters and drifters and happen to be a very good fit on the camaro rad.

Pretty good tech article here for those interested: http://www.aussiev8.com.au/holden-v8s/37776-ford-el-au-thermo-fans-into-hq-hz-holden-v8.html

a search for LS1 dual fan wiring will also provide similar wiring diagrams, to the one I posted a few pages back.

Top it off with the BMW temp sensor, grab a relay housing of your choice while you're at the scrapyard (I used a simple ford/mazda unit but I gather S10's are also a good option) and the HD fan relays from the car you pulled the fan from, and you should be good to go.

Should probably post a new tech thread when I've got time :rolleyes:

Last edited: Aug 13, 2015
  4. clay's70

clay's70 Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Another productive day at the junk yard.
    [​IMG]

5. Turbo70Camaro

Turbo70Camaro Veteran Member Gold Member

Jackpot, clay save me the cleanest most legible one you have please, I will contact you tonight to get a spare from you.

Jake

6. blownbluebird

blownbluebird New Member

i have the the volvo relay and bmw sensor and fan. anything else i need before i start. do i need a relay to kill power with key off? 23 pages and i still not sure.

7. clay's70

Yes, that is what i did.

[​IMG]

The single relay in the left is supplied by a lead that is only hot when the
    ign. is on. The negative lead from the temp switch is turned on and off
    by this relay.

8. blownbluebird

blownbluebird New Member

do you have a diagram of how you wired the relay into the mix?

9. clay's70

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 4, 2016
  10. nachomax

nachomax New Member

Hi Clay,

Sorry to revive an old thread. I bought the Volvo relay from you and received that wiring diagram. I opted to use the LEDs inside the dash. My problem is that they stay on. Somehow the temp switch is always getting power from the Volvo controller "IN" for both "1 and 2" regardless if the ignition is ON or OFF. I have the additional Bosch relay to the temp switch ground and the fan only turns on with Ignition on the ON and ACC position. I don't want to go through the hassle of drained batteries and I know that LEDs don't suck too much current, but I rather not see them ON when the Ignition is in the OFF position. Would it be safe to tap them into the 1 and 2 leads that feed the fan?

Thanks,

Nacho

PS. The fan works great cooling my 455 Pontiac Firebird.