Budget Dual Fan Controller Setup / Taurus Fan Setup

Discussion in 'Electrical Systems' started by Aceshigh, Nov 20, 2010.

1. onovakind67

onovakind67 Veteran Member

If it was me, I would not switch the main power draw through a secondary relay to control whether the fan continues to run after the key is shut off. I would instead install the N.O. contact in series with the ground wire from the temperature switch. When you remove the switched power the ground path for the switch is interrupted and the fan shuts off. You will be switching milliamps instead of multi-amps, and your choice of relay is less critical.

clay's70 likes this.
  2. jim2527

jim2527 New Member

Any sources for the BMW 90 degree housing 61131378412

3. jim2527

jim2527 New Member

Thanks. I was going to send you a PM rather than bumping this back up but I couldn't figure it out. Maybe I don't have enough posts? IDK...2 posts in since 2010 probably doesn't help. One question and one comment.

Q. The BMW switch. The one I have has brown, black/white and black/green wires. The Brown wire is at the base of the 'V' with the black/white top left and black/green top right. Which is which? (ground-low-high) I've found conflicting info.

C. My brother Mark has been a member her for awhile now. http://nastyz28.com/threads/73-project-complete.243415/

4. onovakind67

onovakind67 Veteran Member

The wire colors vary from car to car. The solid color is the common. Immerse the switch in hot water to see which section closes first.

5. ErikNORCAL

ErikNORCAL Veteran Member

Is it possible to use the volvo relay for an LS swap and MKVIII fan? Most seem to use the 4th gen camaro style dual fan. The ecm has a high and low speed trigger and the command to turn on would be sent from the computer instead of a temp sensor similar to below.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversions-hybrids/1300460-question-ls1-pcm-cooling-fan-control.html

In my case, I have an E38 ecm and the harness is set up with separate high and low speed wires. In addition, it has ac and, currently, a binary pressure switch.

After a bit of internet searching it seems there are 2 possible concerns but does work. The concerns are the signal sent by the ecm and throwing a code but these don't seem to be an issue.

The work around is to use a trinary switch and have the ecu control low speed and the high speed controlled by both temp and ac activation.

this link shows trinary diagram, appears to break ground for control.

https://www.vintageair.com/instructions_pdf/11086-VUS.pdf

Found a trinary switch that is volvo..

Greatly appreciate assistance and a drawing if possible.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2019
  6. clay's70

clay's70 Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

7. junkyardZ28find

junkyardZ28find Veteran Member

Yes! I’ve been ordering them with the standard 1/4 NPT threads and I just drill and tap them out for 14mm x 1.50 threads. The other issue tho is the 90-degree BMW wires are obsolete and dis-continued now. The connector itself is available and there are straight lead w/connnector kits available still for that type of connector.

8. 57vette

57vette New Member

This is a great thread. Has anyone tried using the Ford Contour/Mercury Cougar dual fan setup? Supposedly not the beast that the Taurus/MKVII is, but the dual fans are two speed, and reportedly make about 3800 CFM with zero static pressure. Here they are installed in an El Camino BBC. I'm still trying to find out some dimensions that are not found anyplace.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 26, 2020
  9. junkyardZ28find

junkyardZ28find Veteran Member

A better setup for fit is the Chrysler 300/Intrepid dual fans. Those are 22x16x3 and fit where depth is a big concern.