Building the 540.

Discussion in 'Engine Topic' started by Plant Engineer, Sep 29, 2017.

1. mrdragster1970

mrdragster1970 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Chicago, Illinois..... Far S.W. Subs, RT 66 Area

It would be done already if you stayed the hell off the computer so much :p

Let's go racing, hurry the hell up.

2. Plant Engineer

Plant Engineer Veteran Member

For some reason I have to go to work to pay for this poo.

3. Plant Engineer

Been driving this thing for a week or so. What a great engine. Torque everywhere. I was wondering about my torque conversrter. It was stalling at 3300 behind the old 496. Now it stalls at 4200 RPM. Right where I want it. I gave up on the fuel injection and threw a Pro Systems 1050 little monster on there. Wish I'd done that a long ti e ago. What a great carb right out of the box. I'd call it the best carb Ive ever owned for the street.

[​IMG]

4. Damon

Damon Veteran Member

Looks awesome. Glad it's working well so far. Sounds like MrDragster's anxious to see if he can still stay ahead of you. ;)

I re-read your original post in this thread and you were looking for something a little better than "10 flat". I'd say you got that covered with room to spare. On the jug I think it's gonna be "you can't race here any more unless you get a better cage".

My buddy and I finally got a 9 out of his small block, blow-through, hot air, pump gas Chevelle last weekend at Atco in NJ. No way that thing lays more than ~625 to the tires and it's an all-steel, full interior (with stereo!) stock-suspension piggie.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2017
  5. Plant Engineer

I dont know how my cage will tech. The local track seems to be pretty lenient. I'm an OK fabricator but my welds arent beautiful. Then again I'm pretty picky. Still got a couple of bugs to work out like the over oiling issue.

6. SRGN

SRGN Veteran Member

Below 10.0 should have an nhra cert. 8.50 to 9.99 cage isn't hard to cert. Below 8.50 is when it gets more difficult to get the cage right.

7. SRGN

SRGN Veteran Member

You must not be too far from me. For years I did Etown, Atco, and Island so I could race Friday-Saturday-Sunday. Just getting back to it now, so should be out beginning of next season. Hopefully can squeeze in a couple track rentals at Atco before the season starts to get my combo sorted out.

8. Damon

Damon Veteran Member

My buddy lives in Bristol, PA so that's the closest track to him. Cecil County is MUCH closer to me, but not to him so I go where he goes when he runs. Personally, I'm no fan of Atco. Cecil County is my office. First track I ever went to 35+ years ago. Had no idea at the time it was BY FAR the best of the bunch in the area, but it is.

Close to sea level, ALWAYS well-prepped, lenient with the rules and..... I'm not making this up.... I SWEAR the track runs downhill. Or maybe it's 20 feet shorter than every other track but if you need that last tenth, you will almost always find it at Cecil.

9. SRGN

SRGN Veteran Member

My 73 came from just outside Bristol, and I was at my friend's shop in Hulmeville 2 weeks ago picking up parts. So I'm familiar with the area lol. I agree about Cecil, just a little more of a hike than I wanted to drive to get some racing in. Next season I'll try to make some races there though. Englishtown used to be my regular spot, but they really showed they don't care about the sportsman racers. Sucks to win an event and you don't even win enough to cover the entry fee and fuel.

10. jpkerley

jpkerley Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I think you will be surprised how fast it will be if it is properly set up. See little red 406 posts. Pretty similar combo to yours.