Building the 540.

Discussion in 'Engine Topic' started by Plant Engineer, Sep 29, 2017.

1. Plant Engineer

Plant Engineer Veteran Member

I only got to take it out once to the track before they closed for the winter. Made one pass with the injection going haywire. Barely pulled a 11.10 in the mid 120's out of it and the oil pressure dropped to nothing oil smoke blowing out the back. The valve covers were full of oil with nothing down below. Pulled the engine out and put flow restrictors in back and changed the pump over to a standard volume. Should be squared away now. Sh!tcanned the injection and put that pro systems carb on it and couldnt be happier. Just redid the exhaust to full mandrel bent 3" all the way back . No where near as loud now. Finishing up body work this winter and changing over to a hydroboost system as well. That 7" booster wasnt working with the cam worth a damn.

2. jpkerley

jpkerley Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Crap I thought I was going crazy. Little Red 406 is now 496 seems like he is always running a motor behind :)

3. Damon

Damon Veteran Member

"changed the pump over to a standard volume"

Be sure to pass that little tidbit along to fellow board members whenever the standard volume vs. high volume discussion comes along. I've been preaching the standard-volume pump gospel for years but not many people listening in the pews. Something about putting on a high volume pump just FEELS so right that most people do it anyway.

Looking forward to hearing about more runs in the spring. I said you'd have 10-flat covered easy and I don't like being wrong.

4. Plant Engineer

When im cruising at 3000 rpm and blip the throttle and the oil pressure gauge drops to zero its a pretty good sign the pan has been sucked dry.

5. Damon

Damon Veteran Member

While you're in there, have a look around. 3000 RPMs at cruise and and no oil in the pan is.... insane. I'm wondering if something else is going on now that you're feeding in more details.

There are alarm bells going off in the back of my head right now, but I can't tell you why. Probably because I'm mellowed out with alcohol right now, but that picture you just painted doesn't add up in my brain. I thought this was just a problem you experienced as you twisted the tach needle up to about the "7" range and above.

Solid roller setups are touchy bastards, especially at the level you're playing. Exactly which lifters you're using can make mountains of difference in terms of oil flow management. Running on pure instinct, I wonder how you got so much damned oil making it up onto the valve deck with this setup (that it would actually drain the pan at such modest RPMs) and I keep going back to the lifters, since the oil MUST flow through them to get there. Maybe you're right and they REQUIRE restrictors in the lifter galley to work right. Or maybe something else is going on.

Phone calls? Research? That's where I'd be starting anyway. SOMETHING is letting WAY more oil past itself than it should. Or the return path is restricted, but with an all-new build that seems unlikely, barring some MASSIVE mismatch of block/heads/head gasket that chokes off the flow from the valve deck to the lifter galley.

Or your oil pump pickup fell off or isn't reaching to the bottom of the pan, but I'm not going to insult your intelligence with that comment.

6. Plant Engineer

I tore the bottom end apart while down there and it was all good. The oil was just getting all pumped up top and not draining back fast enough. Common big block problem with high volume pumps. While it was out I put in .100" restrictors in the oil galleys in back. Bigger Moroso pan, standard pressure/volume blueprinted Moroso pump. Fires right back up now and solid 50lb's of oil pressure cold and 35 ish at idle running up to 50 hot . Doesnt drop oil pressure at high revs at all now.

And I should say when I say cruising at 3000 and blipping the throttle what I REALLY mean is cruising at 3000 and blipping the throttle in 2nd gear to knock it up to 7000 for a second or two.