Built LT1 Swap, requirements/good price?

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by Chevy70, Nov 13, 2014.

1. purpleflame

purpleflame Veteran Member

I like my LT4 as it isn't the norm. you see LS based cars day in day out and I prefer to be different.
    Loving my FI stroked LT.

2. LT1 WS6

LT1 WS6 Veteran Member

What kind of power are you making, purpleflame?

3. Protour-Camaro

Protour-Camaro Veteran Member

I don't know about Leonard, but my LS revs to 6800rpms and 1 second on the strip is HUGE!. I make over 460 to the tires.

JoeKool, that's the neat thing about the LS platforms. You can get some pretty insane street numbers and still be 100% reliable and streetable. I know its a popular and arguably over used swap, but for a good reason. Some of the high end PT guys are pushing over 700-800 horsepower NA in a low 400 cubic inch engine and they drive all across the country in it. If it wasnts for the race/performance exhaust, it wouldn't sound much different than your lightly modded modern Camaro and Mustangs.

4. sbca96

sbca96 Veteran Member

Well, we are comparing two very different current configurations. I'm commenting
    on the results found in a less than ideal status. Its not excuses, its fact. The LT1
    in our '78 is operating at a disadvantage, I have a single exhaust to pass smog in
    California, and its restrictive over a STOCK 4th Gen. I have a reducer after a high
    flow CAT single 3 inch down to 2-1/4 inch, thats a 43% reduction in area. We also
    ran with two people in the car, and with a peg leg 2.42 axle. A 6.1 second 0-60 is
    actually pretty impressive when you consider this. Leonard is running headers, no
    CAT, and a 3.42 posi - and he is making more power with a built LS6, vs our totally
    stock 1994 LT1 pullout.

Once I get the exhaust issues sorted out, I will be interested to see what it does -
    as we now have the same axle Leonard has : a 3.42 posi. ;)

Even in its current restricted state .. the car is quite fun to drive.

Tom

5. purpleflame

have not dynoed it yet, every time I try to make it to one of our local dyno days I'm tied up or car is being worked on, dyno plan is to get it done this spring.
    I'm hoping for around 425-450 then ordering up a new Sportsman PCM and spraying a 200 shot. it runs strong all the way to 7500 rpm, lot of power still to be had but the EZ EFI is limiting my ability to tune it all in. Right now I'm spinning Nitto 555r's into 2nd and 3rd gear it's a beast to handle.
    heres a pic of the engine;
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 20, 2014
  6. LT1 WS6

LT1 WS6 Veteran Member

Nice! Good luck with it.

7. sbca96

sbca96 Veteran Member

Purple ... is that a REAL LT4 or one you built from an LT1?

Tom

8. purpleflame

highly modified LT1 bottom end, callies stealth crank and rods, splayed mains, stefs pan, ross forged dome pistons, AFR LT4 comp 227 heads, jesel comp shaft rockers and LT4 intake ported,machined for Dist and monoblade. lots of money $$$ in this motor.

9. sbca96

sbca96 Veteran Member

I didn't doubt it was nice, just real LT4's are a super rare bird.;)

Tom