Buying a new drill

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by Lowend, Apr 6, 2019.

1. Lowend

Lowend Administrator. .a car, a man, a maraca. Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Hey guys, what are you liking for cordless drill’s these days? My 18-year-old craftsman has given up the ghost. Was a great piece, but I know the craftsman of today is not the craftsman of 18 years ago.
    Was thinking about going with a 20 V from Dewalt As they seem to share batteries across their entire line. Anyone have other recommendations?

Not going to spend much over 100 bucks on this

2. FreedomPenguin

FreedomPenguin Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I am invested into the ryobi community, cheap, haven't broke one yet. If I did break one its cheap enough to rebuy. 3 year warranties on their tools and 90 day returns. I know people are going to say crap, but im a diy home owner and they havnt broken yet for my task. I wouldn't use them for work or builder grade.

However I have a friend who does use it for work and he enjoys it. Most people use Milwaukee and dewault. Ryboi won me because they have tools for everything and they all use the same battery which is convenient I have a 6 battery charger/maintainer that I leave on year round and keeps the batteries healthy/maintained. (you can see it in slightly on right of pic on wall)

Attached Files:

3. Knuckle Dragger

Knuckle Dragger Mayor of Simpleton Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

I've used Ryobi, Dewalt and Milwaukee without any issues. I'm buying more Milwaukee stuff these days because their cordless impacts are the shiznit and I use them for work. For home stuff I have to agree with Freedom the Ryobi can be had for cheap and is on sale a lot of the time at the home improvement stores. I bought a 5-6 piece combo set from Home Depot 4-5 years back when my Makita dies and it's been great. I have had a couple of the batteries not last as long as I think they should have though. The replacements I got were much better.

4. FreedomPenguin

I originally had Milwaukee tools, but I kept needing new tools for new jobs around the house and the tools for those applications (if they even made it) as 5x more than darn ryobi counterparts. I sold my Milwaukee items and stuck with ryobi since.

I havnt had a battery die in 5 years with ryobi, but I also use the maintainer which I believe is key to longevity is keeping them maintained. Pretty sweet little trinket.

Also directtoolsoutlet.com is worth looking! can get ryobi tools even cheaper with full warranties, like 50% of the price of Home Depot sometimes. factory scratch dents or refurbs.

$99 Home Depot
    https://www.homedepot.com/p/RYOBI-1...rt-Super-Charger-with-USB-Port-P135/206892719

$65 direct tools- factory blemished. probably looks almost new or new. I think sometimes they sell overstock as blemished because the ones I get say blemished but brand new unopened.
    https://www.directtoolsoutlet.com/ryobi-one-6-port-battery-supercharger

One last thing, Home Depot clearances out their ryobi tools every season, ridiculously cheap. like it starts 10%, then 25%, then 50%, then 75 and then 90% off. This fall I grabbed a lot of yard tools for like 20 bucks a piece, including a electric pole saw which ive used a dozen times on limbs and such. Cuts like butter.

Its hard not to pick up the tools when I see them even when dont need them at the time, I didn't need the saw, but week later a massive windstorm came through and destroyed a lot of trees and my neighbors trees, it came in handy helping everyone out.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2019
  5. Green hornet

Green hornet Veteran Member

I use Milwaukee 18v cordless system. The batteries fit all their 18v tool line from
    1/2 impact guns, drills, nail guns and saws. Cordless equipment has come a long ways.

Knuckle Dragger likes this.
  6. flint9

flint9 Member

look at the makita,s good quality for a good price.i buy for a construction co. our tools are used HARD i prefer hilti they top of line but not cheap if one breaks i can have it fixed and back in servive in 72 hrs.cannot say that about the others.

7. GoldenOne7710

GoldenOne7710 Equal Opportunity Offender Lifetime Gold Member

My take, just from reading reviews and talking to people who use drills a lot on a daily basis...find whichever one has the best warranty and battery. They all seem pretty close in regards to performance and integrity.

8. Knuckle Dragger

I wouldn't doubt better care would have helped mine. They were the lower end of the battery line and abused. The higher end replacements have done well for me. I don't have near the collection of Ryobi stuff you have but I have a mix of hand and yard tools that have never let me down. Like you said they are very affordable.

Off topic for the OP but Ryobi doesn't have anything that compares to the Milwaukee impact stuff. I own two Ryobi impacts and they only come out of the box for junk yard runs.

9. Knuckle Dragger

Damn straight, I don't use air tools in the shop anymore.

10. FreedomPenguin

Do you have the new brushless one? I’ve been thinking about it for tore rotations and such. I heard pretty darn good things about it but your opinion matters if you indeed have this one.

Been waiting for a sale.
    https://www.homedepot.com/p/RYOBI-1...river-Tool-Only-with-Belt-Clip-P238/301853896