C5 caliper recommendations

Discussion in 'Suspension, Steering, Brake & Wheel Topics' started by jvle95, Jul 8, 2019.

1. jvle95

jvle95 Veteran Member

Just curious what everyone that converted to the C5 set up is using for calipers. I have been looking over craigslist, eBay, rockauto, summit....... you get the idea for a some calipers. Im thinking the best option is to buy some remanufactured units or new from summit. Should I stay away from those remanufactured pieces? Anyone have anything good or bad to say about their experiences with calipers?

dave@ztech likes this.
  2. dave@ztech

dave@ztech Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I know nothing about this, however, I thought the whole idea, was to buy it like it was just a replacement part , like we owned a C5, haa ha, and that made this swap, the better choice, as the parts are inexpensive, and common , easy to find, not saying the OP was somehow wrong, just kind of adding to his question.

3. jvle95

jvle95 Veteran Member

The parts are common and priced well for what I plan on doing with my car but I was just curious if someone had good or bad luck with any of the options that are out there. Maybe not the "better choice" for everyone out there but surely a good choice for me.

4. dave@ztech

I have looked at this option, and what the big brake companies are offering, and I think, that GM , would use what they could find that works and provided the braking on a car that could go real fast, that said, the car it was designed for is a lot lighter, then our cars, so that's what I wonder about, I really want to do this swap, instead of some of the other options, I just want it to work well, and to be able to find parts at the local NAPA, I will be interested to see the comments.

5. Lowend

Lowend Administrator. .a car, a man, a maraca. Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

It's your brakes... one of the few things on your car who's express purpose is stopping you from dying.
    Don't buy rebuilt

6. jvle95

jvle95 Veteran Member

I wasn't necessarily looking for the cheapest option but I thought maybe a rebuilt AC Delco caliper might be an option. My thinking was that people buy used calipers and rebuild them so why would a rebuilt one be so bad? Are the AC Delco rebuilt units purchased through a rebuilder and then sold as AC Delco?

7. Bandit723

Bandit723 Veteran Member

There is nothing wrong with using rebuilt calipers IMO. A1-Cardone is a good source for rebuilt parts as well.

8. dave@ztech

What is the price spread on new and rebuilt?

9. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

I have never heard someone say to stay away from rebuilt calipers. Unless rebuilt improperly, they will be fine. I have also never seen a caliper failure before. At worst a leak from the piston seal but that can happen to a new unit too. The rebuilt calipers was new at some point lol. On a positive note rebuilt calipers usually have some sort of lifetime warranty at auto zone.

That being said new GM calipers are still available. I bought mine from Amazon. Rock Auto probably has the best price these days.

10. Lowend

Lowend Administrator. .a car, a man, a maraca. Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

I should rephrase, lowest price should not be the chief driver here.

badazz81z28 likes this.