Calculating Pulses Per Mile

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by Keaton, Sep 16, 2019.

1. Keaton

Keaton New Member

Hey Guys, I recently just installed a new Tremec five speed in my 1970. I was wondering if any of you know what the pulses per mile would be. I have 3.73 gears in the rear end and the tire diameter is roughly ~25 inches. I’ve been manually putting values into my NVU Gauges and 54,350 seemed to be the closest. Thanks!

Last edited: Sep 16, 2019
  2. ULTM8Z

ULTM8Z Veteran Member

If you can program it electronically, then basically whatever the pulse/mi number is that gets your speedo to read accurately is the right number.

Generally speaking it’s a function of the axle ratio, the tire diameter, and the number of teeth on the VSS reluctor wheel. But I think the math works like this…

For example, let’s say you have 26” tall tires, a 3.73 axle ratio and your VSS has say, 10 teeth on the reluctor wheel.

For every revolution of the tire, you’re going (3.14)(26) = ~82” or ~7ft. 1 mile = 5280 feet, so you’d need ~754 revolutions of the tire to go 1 mile.

For every revolution of the tire, you’re getting 3.73 revolutions of the driveshaft. So that would be ~2813 driveshaft revolutions, and therefore 2813 reluctor wheel revolutions.

So then if you have 10 teeth on the reluctor wheel (every time a tooth goes by the magnetic pickup, that’s 1 pulse), you’d have 10 x2813 = 28,130 pulses per mile.

For example, on my setup, I didn’t count the reluctor wheel teeth so I don’t really know what I have. But with the ECM reading the VSS in my Gear Vendors, I ended up programming in 115,000 pulses per mile to get the ECM seeing the right vehicle speed (I basically calibrated against a GPS Speedometer app on my smartphone).

Like I said, I don’t think it really matters what number you end up with as long as the speedometer readout is accurate.

3. Keaton

Keaton New Member

Well the speedometer reads perfectly above 20 miles per hour, but any lower and the speedometer starts to bug out. I found that going higher than 55,000 makes the speed slowe

4. Keaton

Keaton New Member

I meant to say 54,350 works pretty well in my original post, not 35,350 pulses.

5. ULTM8Z

ULTM8Z Veteran Member

Could potentially be an electrical noise issue.

What do you mean by bug out? Jumpy needle? What VSS are you running?

6. Keaton

Keaton New Member

Well the speedometer reads perfectly above 20 miles per hour, but any lower and the speedometer starts to bug out. I found that going higher than 55,000 makes the speed show slower and below 54,000 makes the speed read higher.

7. Keaton

Keaton New Member

The speedometer starts to jump around when you get to 10-15 MPH, but once you clear 20 MPH it reads just fine. I’m using the Tremec Electronic speed sensor on the rear tail shaft passenger side. (TKO500)

8. ULTM8Z

ULTM8Z Veteran Member

Does it do that no matter what gear you're in? If its noise, wondering if it's related to engine rpm...

Could potentially reroute the VSS wires to a different location. Could be passing by something noisy that's coupling onto the VSS wires.

Also is this a two wire or three wire sensor? Is there a ground with it?

Last edited: Sep 16, 2019
  9. Keaton

Keaton New Member

It’s a two wire sensor with no polarity. One goes to ground and the other goes directly to the speedometer.

10. ULTM8Z

ULTM8Z Veteran Member

Does it actually say to ground one of the wires? I thought typically these sensors generate an AC signal and that both wires would go to the device that's using them.

What sensor are they running in this transmission?