California ruined the nostalga of the black plate. :(

Discussion in 'California 2nd Genners' started by Knuckle Dragger, Apr 23, 2018.

1. Printstron

Printstron Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

A few years back they put out a option for Black and Yellow, and Blue and Yellow. With the caveat that they needed a certain amount of pre orders for each to make it financially affordable to make. The only one to get enough were the Black and Yellows. They won't be producing the Blue and Yellows.

If you have a 72 and older (70-72) I think you can register a set of Blue and Yellows with it using the YOM application. But you will need to source a set of plates. I know there are a few sites you can find decent ones on.

I talked to a retired CHP officer and he said if you get pulled over there is no distinguishing code in the system for the color of your plates. So I floated the idea of painting mine by him and he said it should be ok. When I say paint i mean an standard color like the Blue and yellow. You cannot paint them crazy colors and think it will be fine cause you will get cited.

The Black and yellow and blue and yellow use the same style stamping. Both have the block lettering for "CALIFORNINA" on the top so i will get those redone,

roeville likes this.
  2. Lars_2Gen

Lars_2Gen Veteran Member

I have a set of blue and yellow plates that came with my car... that said they were not original to the car. Too many numbers for a non-personalized plate. It has 7 numbers/letters in '73 should have had 6. Either way for now they will go on my car. I believe the YOM program now goes up to the late 70s - early '80s.

I get it that every DB can get black and yellow plates now... I even considered ordering a set for my pickup - it's black too. But when the state charges something like $45/year for the privilege of having "special" color non-personalized plates they can keep 'em.

3. Z28SSRS

Z28SSRS Veteran Member

Thanks for the info, Printstron.

Printstron likes this.
  4. camarochevy1970

camarochevy1970 Veteran Member

once you go black.....

5. muscl car

muscl car Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I got Black & Yellow plates on my Camaro !!

roeville likes this.
  6. SG71SS

SG71SS Veteran Member

As Prinston said, enough pre-orders had to be taken (I believe it was 7,500) for either the yellow/black, black/yellow, and or blue/yellow to be reproduced and only the black/yellow got enough. Yes indeed the black/yellow plates are everywhere! LOL.

But soon after that, SB1429 was passed which moved the YOM program to allow putting blue and yellow plates on cars up to 1980. I posed about it a while back:

http://www.nastyz28.com/threads/sb1429-passed-and-signed-into-law.307021/

You can read all the details on the application:

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/wcm/c...41dd-b475-0e9b740c7dad/reg352.pdf?MOD=AJPERES

I bought a blue/yellow set on Ebay that are DMV clear and my appointment is on May 4 to put them on my 71. I'll post back on how it goes.

7. Lars_2Gen

Lars_2Gen Veteran Member

Be sure to read the actual application. The dates on the CA DMV website are incorrect. The DMV site says up to 1972, the actual application says up to 1980.

8. SG71SS

SG71SS Veteran Member

The website hasn't been updated. The old YOM was up to 1969 for cars, motorcycles, and trailers and up to 1972 for trucks. The actual application has the updated YOM program details to 1980 and it's what SB1429 says as well.

9. MIDNIGHTBLUE

MIDNIGHTBLUE Veteran Member

Actually you can brother. Fill out this and submit. I am in the process of having a pair of very clean Black and Yellows reassigned to my 1967 Ford Country Sedan. My plates are no longer in the system so you can reassign the plates to the car AS LONG AS the plates are period correct and no longer assigned. Since they are yours you can do it, you just need to find the DMV who knows what their policy is, and yes, it is within policy.

If anyone here is interested in how I am doing it, this is what I did so far. I located a pair of like new Black and Yellows from Offer Up that were local. I contacted Sacramento and determined the plates were no longer in the system. The plates came from a 63 Impala. I obtained an accurate YOM (Year of Make tag) 1967 that goes on the LEFT side of the plate, the black and yellows are stamped with a 1963 in the left side where newer plates have the month.

I just need to apply the tag and walk it to the DMV with the application/registration and proof of insurance. The car is uninsured right now as I restore it, 78K orignal 390 just rebuilt.

Heres the form bud, enjoy.

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/wcm/c...41dd-b475-0e9b740c7dad/reg352.pdf?MOD=AJPERES

10. 77thor

77thor Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Meh! I didn't even know that they were regarded as "cool".