California: safety harness in classic cars?

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by BillyDean7173, Sep 10, 2019.

1. BonzoHansen

BonzoHansen Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

The car in question, Kevin hart's car, had no back seat. What other cudas have is irrelevant to this conversation.

... and a helmet... btw i love the changes you've made to your car recently. It's a race car now

thanks. i thought the full name barracuda went away totally at one point in lieu of just cuda. Im not a dodge guy lol

muscl car likes this.
  2. The Champ

The Champ Veteran Member

The Barracuda was a Plymouth...;)

Calling a Barracuda a Dodge is like calling a Camaro a Pontiac.

3. czizza

czizza Veteran Member

Good to know ... Okay then a roll bar ... a better solution. Thanks.

4. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

If people want to drive without seat belts...let them...

5. xten

xten Veteran Member

Won't ride in a car with anyone not belted in. They can become big projectiles and injure people that are wearing them.

6. Shizzle

Shizzle Veteran Member

You don’t get sarcasm I see.
    Yes I know they had a back seat, so do mustangs & f bodies, actually being useable to anyone over 5’ tall it’s essentially NOT having a back seat.

7. xten

xten Veteran Member

One of the magazines years ago called the Camaro back seat "a birth control device"

73 Z and BillyDean7173 like this.
  8. G72Zed

G72Zed Veteran Member

G72Zed said:
    Please don't do the shoulder belts going to the back bottom floor, spine compressor.

(First off, I apologize for the long post and hijack, but since this is getting so much attention and input, and relative to the subject, I thought I would share this as I have struggled with this vary issue of risk vs safety and the best options available.)

And in there lies the conundrum czizza. Like you, and most likely many others on this site, basically, I use my car for what I built it for, to enjoy on the roads and highways most of the time, but do participate in other driving events fairly regularly such as Drag, Autocross and Road Course/HPDE's.

In my case & view point, the Insurance somewhat frowns or refuses to cover street cars with "roll bars/cages", and I do not personally want steel bars (padded or not) in close proximity to my head, or the passengers (front or rear) due to risk of contact if an accident or collision does occur during regular driving as there is only lap belts with OEM seats being used in both front and rear locations.

So, to better secure me in my seat during those events, I designed & built a removal rear bar that I attach the shoulder belts to in respect to the proper rear angle (or the lack of), also installed a 5 point GForce harness. It has served the purpose of keeping me stable and secure during the autocross events, and the same at the drag strip and road course. Times are mid 12's at 118mph (3rd gear) and road course speeds kept at 130mph and under, (140mph started to get me a little to deep in the braking zone).

Even at that, the use of a 5 point harness without a well support seat, or race seat such as a Kirkey containment seat, has it's limits. A 5 point harness without incorporating a roll bar/cage leaves you at risk of compression injuries should a rollover happen and the roof crushes in, so, in reality, a properly installed 5 point harness should be used with a roll bar/cage.

I'm at that point, do I build in a 4 point roll bar that will do it's job in case of a rollover on track, and it's "removable" , or upgrade the seats and install a typical 3 points retractable belt setup in front and rear, and forgo the roll bar/cage option.

Very interested in what others have done, and opinions and view points on this subject.

Sorry for the long post.

9. ol' grouch

ol' grouch Veteran Member

The main difference between a Porsche Cayman and a 911 is the 911 has a back seat. It's not good for much besides putting your groceries or children in car seats as there isn't ANY leg room if the driver is very tall at all. The 911 costs twice as much in some versions as the Cayman but it has lower insurance rates due to being a 4 seater rather than a 2 seater.

10. czizza

czizza Veteran Member

Thanks can you start another thread to show what you did with your removable roll bar and seat belts. It sounds interesting.