California: safety harness in classic cars?

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by BillyDean7173, Sep 10, 2019.

1. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

Not exactly, that’s focusing on the rigidity and performance of the car. To survive a crash, the car needs to absorb energy rather than transferring it to you. New cars are designed to crush. Not only the body of the car, but the frame too. They also have better seat belts and front and side airbags. You can’t really build this engineering into a classic car (realistic). The only thing you can do to a classic car is structurally make it more sound, but then that also requires you to have a good restraint system and a helmet. You getting plowed by another car and you are in a solid chassis, caged car...your gonna take a good blow to the body. For everyday driving, I feel the only positive “addition” to a old car would be quality seat belts. I think Morris Classic is about all we got. Lap belts won’t cut it.

2. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

Where is your bar located? The cross bar is about shoulder level and the hoop is good distance up high. A good roll bar will keep the roof from collapsing and really hitting your head. In my car I have full movement in my seat clear of really being possible hitting the bar with my head. Unless I’m not buckled in.

dcozzi and muscl car like this.
  3. muscl car

muscl car Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

The race car chassis fab shop that did my 8 point cage built my cage using measurements taken of me . They asked me to bring the seat I was using which the RCI poly seat and mounting brackets

They then measured my most comfortable seating position and then built the cage from those measurements .This then set the measurements for the height of the main hoop the cross bar height and door bar height . Also while being fitted for the cage they had me while strapped in with my harness and also with just the lap belt. They had me try and see if I could flex enough to touch the main hoop and I couldnt

The cage and seat position is custom built for me and I'm 6'3" anyone smaller or larger wouldn't fit