Calipers - CPP C5 kit

Discussion in 'Suspension, Steering, Brake & Wheel Topics' started by ErikNORCAL, Sep 26, 2019.

1. ErikNORCAL

ErikNORCAL Veteran Member

Any issues with the calipers in the cpp big brake kit that uses the Corvette hub on the cast spindle? I already know about the bearings in the kit being sub par but haven’t seen any comments on the calipers. Believe they are based of a GM truck design.
    Thank you

2. sandiego74

sandiego74 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I've had them on my car for several years now and never had an issue with them through a couple of seasons of Autocross. I plan to buy a nicer, larger set of calipers some time in the future, but for the price, they are fine. The hubs are DEFINITELY junk, though, and I would go straight to using C7 hubs instead.

3. ErikNORCAL

ErikNORCAL Veteran Member

Thanks, great input backed by your experience!

4. rburrow87

rburrow87 Member

What's the deal with the wheel bolt pattern though, isn't the C7 5x120mm vs 5x4.75" (5x120.65mm)? Or is it close enough to not really matter in the real world?

5. Zulu28

Zulu28 Veteran Member

All Corvette's are 5 x 120.65mm or (5 x 4 3/4") Camaro 5th Gen are 5 x 120mm
    Are they close enough?? Well, that depends on who you talk to, would I do it?...... Nope!

rburrow87 likes this.
  6. rburrow87

rburrow87 Member

Oh, well then good to know the C7 hubs fix whatever the issue is with the C5 hubs! I Google'd C7 lug pattern and saw 5x120, but digging deeper shows that that they are actually 5x120.65. I kept looking at these knuckles, but reading about the C5 hubs not holding up was putting me off.

And yeah I'm uneasy about mixing 120 and 120.65, I don't think I'd mix them on my car. "Close enough" is not really good enough if failure results in a wheel falling off. Sounds like it's fine with some "wobble nuts" though.

7. Fbird

Fbird Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

doubt you would get the lugs IN. If you are running shank lug nuts ...you might get 3 in but definitely NOT 4...
    wheel pattern is .026" OFF. now if you are running tapper seat lug nuts....yeah you will get them on (all 5) and i would expect it to ride like a horse... cause the wheel is being "located" and rotating OFF CENTER compared to the wheel hub. Kinda like a fuel pump eccentric....lol

8. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

SKF hubs for C5 and C6 are just as good as C7 hubs.

9. dave@ztech

dave@ztech Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

The C7 hub was improved over the standard C5-6 hub , as confirmed by the Corvette forums, and they are all 5x4 3/4 bolt pattern also known as 120.65 seems like some listing are just abbreviations showing 120

10. lightly-modded

lightly-modded Member

C7 hub is basically a C6 ZR1 hub without an abs sensor (which is nice since we don't use them). C7/ZR1 hubs have larger heavy duty bearings and thicker wheel flange than a standard c5/c6 hub. The c7 hub also tends to be cheaper than the ZR1 hub, which is an added bonus.

sandiego74 likes this.