Cam Choice

Discussion in 'High Performance Modifications' started by Oldskool62, Apr 7, 2018.

1. Oldskool62

Oldskool62 Member

Hi,
    I have got a 78 Camaro with what appears to be a 76 truck 350 engine. The car has a set of Summit ceramic coated long tube headers, 2.5 inch duel exhaust with a H pipe, T350 and 2.73 gears.
    Originally I was going down the vortec path however I have decided to leave the stock heads and go with either and Edelbrock performer or performer air gap and 600 Holley. At the end of the day how much power do I really need.
    After reading much (weeks) information on cam choice I have brought on much confusion as to what would best suit the above configuration of my car/engine. I am leaning towards either an edelbrock performer 2117 cam or a comp cam 268H however this choice is not set in stone.
    Any suggestions and thoughts would be appreciated.

2. Blown Camaro

Blown Camaro American by birth, drag racer by choice

Gears then cam.

Oldskool62 likes this.
  3. Zspoiler

Zspoiler Veteran Member

What do you want to do with the car .It has to do a lot with a possible combination for your car, Then money time ,mechanical ability. Be sides my own car I have helped build muscle cars for people ,Some are used to econo boxes .And can`t handle the car,And there are those who can, This one is mine.

Attached Files:

4. Oldskool62

Oldskool62 Member

I want nice useable power & torque between about 1500 & 4500 RPM.

NB: Nice machine.

5. Lowend

Lowend Administrator. .a car, a man, a maraca. Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

If you plan to keep those 2.73 gears, the cam needs to stay small. Honestly, probably smaller than either of those cams you listed.
    I like the Isky 201262/270-12 it's got a little shorter duration and it's a split pattern cam that will help compensate for the poor flowing stock exhaust port.

Now - if you are willing to go to a deeper gear set (3.42 is a good compromise) you can get a lot more cam. If you do this, make sure you add some sort of limited slip differential.

6. rchydzik

rchydzik Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I think you would be happier with the vortec heads and your present cam than with a larger cam and the stock heads. The same would hold for similar aftermarket heads.

7. camolaa_69

camolaa_69 Veteran Member

I think this is very true. With the old smoggers head, it would be down on compression. I would defiantly put vortec heads on and choose a cam between 210 to 215 duration at 0.05 lift. Be mindful when putting vortec heads on, you will be more likely raising compression. If you change diff ratio, then you could optimise for a cam in the 215 to 225 duration @ 0.05 lift. Compression and differential ratio has a large effect on the camshaft that you can choose, it would be best decide your final diff ratio and the heads that you want to be using.

8. Oldskool62

Oldskool62 Member

Thanks all for your input. Much appreciated I ended up going with a comp 268H cam, matched valve springs, edelbrock performer & 600 Holley. The guy doing the work is going to machine my stock heads to bump compression and match port.
    As far as ratios go, yes this is on the radar. I was originally looking at 3.3's but will look at what has been suggested. The car is driven in the country side which is very flat, long roads with nothing in between.

9. camolaa_69

camolaa_69 Veteran Member

Should be a good solid performer. Goodluck