Cam Selection Help

Discussion in 'Engine Topic' started by scrap--metal, Jan 30, 2019.

1. scrap--metal

scrap--metal Member

I'm looking for a little cam advice. Here's my application:

'79 Camaro, 355 CI block, 5073 Edelbrock E-street aluminum heads (70cc chambers, 185cc intake, 2.02/1.6 valves), 200-4R automatic w/ overdrive, 2400 stall converter, 4.10 gear w/ posi in the factory 10 bolt, 275-45R17 rear tires. The car is pretty much factory weight with a full interior.

I'm looking for a strong engine with good street manners. I regularly drive the car to work in the summer, and need to be able to get stuck in traffic without worry. It'd be nice to keep running 87 too, but that's not a necessity and I think that'll be dictated by the decisions I've already made affecting compression ratio.

I'm not sure what the compression ratio is, so please don't dwell on that missing piece of information. This project started out as a head swap, and snowballed into something more excessive. I was running 87 octane in the old 76cc heads and never had an issue, so the engine was not running excessive compression before the project started. I went with the thick 0.039" head gasket Edelbrock recommended for the heads, so I only expect the smaller combustion chambers to up the compression slightly.

One cam that caught my eye for the price was Summit's SUM-K1104.
    https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-k1104
    Based on what I've been reading, this seems appropriate. Please let me know what you guys think, and I'm open to other suggestions as well. I plan on calling Edelbrock later today or tomorrow to get their 2 cents.

2. tom3

tom3 Veteran Member

One cam that I've used that really performed way above expectations was the Edel. Performer Plus with a set of 1.6 ratio rockers. Get the timing, duration, lift, to make for a stout engine up to about 5500 rpm, good street manners and good gas mileage too. The Summit cam is very similar to that cam with near the same lift using stock rockers. Good price too!

3. Lowend

Lowend Administrator. .a car, a man, a maraca. Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

compression is probably just over 9-1. Factory was 8.5 with the 76cc heads so dropping the chamber size puts you right there.
    That cam is very similar to the Corvette L82 cam. Not a bad choice for a street car, but old tech. I'd probably want something with a little extra duration/lift on the exhaust side in a perfect world.

I really don't recommend flat-tappet cams in any application at this point, oil formulation makes them time bombs.

4. scrap--metal

scrap--metal Member

Thanks for the input guys. After speaking with Edelbrock, they recommended their Performer Plus camshaft (#2117). Like tom3 said above, the specs on that cam are nearly identical to the K1104 Summit cam I was looking at. There's only a minor difference in intake/exhaust duration (exhaust duration is identical at 0.050"). LSAs are the same, and the lift specs are within 0.004" too.

With that in mind, I think I'm going to order up the Summit K1104 cam and lifters. They got a deal going on now so I should be able to get it shipped for just over $100. Unless someone is aware of quality issues with the Summit cams or lifters, I don't think the extra $50 is justified for the Edelbrock cam...

I know guys are shying away from flat-tappet cams these days, but I figure the fuse on this "time bomb" will be long enough. In another 15 years, I'll be ready to go through it again.

5. 77 cruiser

77 cruiser Veteran Member

Sometimes the bomb goes of in less than 15 minutes.
    Summit cams are pretty good. About the same specs as a GM 350/350 cam I think.

6. Lowend

Lowend Administrator. .a car, a man, a maraca. Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

The Edelbrock cam is a reboxed Melling, wouldn't be surprised if the Summit was too

7. tom3

tom3 Veteran Member

Always wondered who made the Edelbrock cams. Thanks for the info.

8. Zspoiler

Zspoiler Veteran Member

I would some sort of hydraulic roller cam .Since the tech is out there.I also have a 1979 Camaro .Mines a Z-28 I just a more extreme via engine ,suspension and brakes. So have fun with it,

Attached Files:

9. jeff swisher

jeff swisher Veteran Member

My ported and milled 72 cc heads which began life as 76cc heads on my 350" with flat top pistons would run on 87 octane as would my 10.87 compression 350" even my stock head 350 olds with stock cam would run on 87 octane.
    But when I went racing they were all much quicker on 91 octane with timing turned up.
    And every day was race day for me.
    Wife would sneak in 87 octane on the 1977 olds 350 and I would notice the car did not run quite as good and stated that to her and she said I did not think you would notice ..I put 87 octane in it I told her Quit it.

My V65 magna was 2 thenths quicker on the lower octane.

Buddies corvette had 87 octane in it as per the dyno shop that built his engine but in car it would run on when you turned the key off and I told him that was a fool move even though the cam was 224-230@ .050 and compression was 9.4. Ran so much better on 91 octane.

I assume you wanted more power with the parts you chose so when you go searching for more play with timing and more octane.

I will not suggest a cam as I like tighter LSA cams and lots of cylinder pressure.
    Not what you are going for.

10. 1980RS

1980RS Veteran Member

There are better cams than that Summit cam, even the 268H cam will make more power than that Summit cam. Toss in a CC 280H in that 355 and you will be pretty happy.

jeff swisher likes this.