Cam Swap versus Hydro Boost

Discussion in '1970 - 1973 Specific' started by chiefburns, Feb 14, 2020 at 3:23 PM.

1. chiefburns

chiefburns New Member

The guy I bought my 72 from built the engine with the intentions of putting a blower on it, which I am not going to do. My problem is with this huge cam I have very low vacuum and stop and go brakes are almost non-existent. I want to be able to drive it anywhere I want (hense the EFI install) without having to worry about rear-ending someone due to no brakes. So I need to decide whether to swap out my cam with a more streetable version to give me more vacuum/brakes or dump another grand into it and add hydro boost. Thoughts?

2. G72Zed

G72Zed Veteran Member

Since your not going going to put a blower on it, you now have the wrong cam in there. I would change the cam that fits your application and yours needs and requirements like power brakes.

I use a "large" cam because it's what wanted, but use manual brakes to eliminate the low vacuum issue, that "could" be an option for you, just saying. I drive my car very regularly, no issues with manual brakes, but it does take more leg pressure, but not much, but I also use a carb.

3. chiefburns

chiefburns New Member

We stay in contact with each other and when I told him that I was putting EFI on it he said that I should probably change the cam.

4. flht99b

flht99b Veteran Member

Definitely change the cam and whatever cam grinder you use let them know as much specifics about the engine, drivetrain and especially let them know you are going EFI and intended usage of car.

Zstar likes this.
  5. Zstar

Zstar Veteran Member

I changed the pure race cam and added hydroboost. No problems now.

6. jeff swisher

jeff swisher Veteran Member

Hydro boost to me look horrible and I wonder why people do not use an electric vacuum pump.. many manufactures use them Cadillac ..Volvo.
    I would think that would be cleaner and easier.
    If you are idling at say 800 rpm sometimes turning it up to 1000 will be just enough to solve the issue.

I myself would go electric vacuum pump .