Can header's hold up exhaust?

Discussion in 'Engine Topic' started by Michael Sammy, Jun 14, 2019.

1. Michael Sammy

Michael Sammy Member

So the hangers on my exhaust broke and basically it's supported by my shorty hooker header's. Can I drive it like this till I get it fixed? Its true dual exhaust with one cat on each side and a purple hornies muffler that runs the rear axle. I'm not sure if the leverage of the exhaust hanging will snap the header bolts or anything. Thanks!

2. G72Zed

G72Zed Veteran Member

It may stress the welds/joints after a while, but don't think you will snap off header bolts.

hubedobeedo likes this.
  3. CorkyE

CorkyE Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Yea, you could twist the headers completely around and it wouldn't snap the header bolts off. However, like said above, you're putting extra stress on the on the collector gaskets and bolts. These may not break but may later cause leaks and warpage, so best to get it fixed now. Should be an easy fix for any decent muffler shop, and they may be able to determine what caused to supports to break the first time.

hubedobeedo likes this.
  4. Lars_2Gen

Lars_2Gen Veteran Member

If you can't get to an exhaust shop quick enough, why not tie up the exhaust with some bailing wire until you can? Shouldn't take more than 5 minutes and will give you a little piece of mind.

hubedobeedo, 1972_Z-28 and dave@ztech like this.
  5. Michael Sammy

Michael Sammy Member

That's a good idea Lars. I tied it up with wire like you recommend. I got an appointment to get it fixed next week

Lars_2Gen likes this.
  6. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

I don't have cats on mine but the whole exhaust system and transverse muffler (Thrush 2.5") have been supported by headers and the factory transverse exhaust hanger points for over a decade, with no issue.

Hedman Elite headers (shorties), 3/8" flange... Never had to replace header gaskets or had a leak.

hubedobeedo likes this.
  7. jeff swisher

jeff swisher Veteran Member

I drove a lot of Fords and bailing wire was my friend.