Can I clock this alternator? GM-19152464

Discussion in 'Electrical Systems' started by CorkyE, Mar 14, 2019.

1. CorkyE

CorkyE Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

This alternator came with my Serpentine setup and there's about 1/8" clearance between the power lug and valve cover. I can work the boot on but it's really tight and I'd like to rotate the back shell to a different position. I don't have pictures now, car's at Thermo King getting A/C hoses installed. Anyone haved knowledge this?

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/nal-19152464

2. budro6968

budro6968 Veteran Member

I would think so. If it comes apart you can re-clock. If the brushes pop out just use a paper clip straightened through the back and push the brushes back in the holder. There should be a small hole to slide it through. Probably a You Tube vid to watch on that.

3. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Should be able to clock it. Having a little more clearance there, in case of a collision, is really a good idea.

No matter how much clearance you have there... You really should remove the battery ground connection before you ever touch the boot covering the power lug.

4. CorkyE

CorkyE Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Thanks guys, I have a quick disconnect on the ground side, always use it when working working on the alternator and other electrical components.

5. Fbird

Fbird Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

4 bolts .....you don't even need to seperate it...may need to HAMMER smacks to break it loose is all.

6. dave@ztech

dave@ztech Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Try not to open it more then 1/4 inch 1/8 is better , with the alt, sitting on it butt, and turn to the position required, you will need to pull off the fan,