Car stereos

Discussion in 'Car Audio, Electronics & Security' started by Goat, Oct 22, 2016.

1. Goat

Goat Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

It's been awhile since I've bought any kind of stereo equipment. I'm looking for a nice sounding radio/cd system, 6x9 speakers in rear . Cost is not the prime concern. Also, not important that it fit in stock location, but would like to keep it to a "single DIN" size.

Any suggestions/experiences?

thanks.

2. cvhu

cvhu Member

i am in the middle of doing my now, using helix p52c 5.25 components and helix p6b 6.5 mid bass in the doors have to make custom pods for them, with helix 6.5 components in the rear deck and the helix e10 sub in the rear deck all powered by the helix v8 dsp amp and jvc double din deck with custom made bezel i made for the double din radio, i bought a fiberglass rear package tray that houses the 6.5's and sub from a member on this site

3. Goat

Why does this post show no replies or views and has a "N/A" ?

4. slayer021175666

slayer021175666 Veteran Member

Don't know why no views.
    I suggest a good deck,(Mine is Kenwood KDC-X500) 5 channel amp, 6x9 rear speakers, 6.5 components in front and a subwoofer that meats your music tastes.

5. Goat

I see. It got moved...

6. Goat

What is "6.5 components"? I was thinking about putting an upgraded version of the stock twin speakers under the dash. How is that different?

7. slayer021175666

6.5 inch Component speakers are separate 6.5 inch mid range and tweeters. Might help to google it and study up a bit.
    Anyway, The amp will allow you to make it where only mid range sound goes to the 6.5s and the supplied crossovers you will get with the component speakers will only allow high range sounds to go to the tweeters. Having only the sound frequencies a speaker is capable of producing going to to it, lets you crank the poo out of them because they aren't struggling to try to play sounds they are not designed for. Even if you don't want to "Crank the poo out of 'em" read on.
    The under dash twin speaker option is no option at all, for a person who wants good sounding music. Imagine a concert and how you hear sound from left and right creating a sound panorama. In car stereo lingo, this is called the sound stage arrangement. You do not want your front (AND MOST IMPORTANT!) sound coming from the center. You want it out to the left and right sides just they way it would be at a concert.
    If you like, PM me. I'll give you my number and better explain this. It would also help to talk on the phone because I could better address any questions you may have.
    Other than that,
    Lots of Luck, Brother.

8. Goat

Thanks for your help. I think I will poke around on the internet first before wasting your time with basic questions. I may contact you for specifics.

In the meantime, trying to understand exactly what speakers go where in the optimal situation. Two 6.5 speakers (6.5" diameter?) in the rear (2 way?) and one woofer (size?) (in the middle?) and two 6.5s up front (type?). Can't imagine where to mount the front ones if not under the dash...

The 6x9's in the rear are not a good option?

9. jthomas

jthomas Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I agree with Slayer is about the setup and sound stage, but second gen Camaro's make it hard to solve the front speaker issue. Here is my opinion on an ideal setup:
    • A pair of 6 or 6.5" components up front. Main speakers in door panel (best) or kickpanel (okay) and the tweeters in A pillar pointed at your ears.
    • A pair of coaxial 6x9s in the rear deck. Triaxials are okay, but in my opinion they overemphasize the upper end too much and you have to tune that down a bit, where a coaxial seems to be just right on the high frequencies (all depends on brand).
    • A 10" subwoofer somewhere in the mix with a sealed box or a professionally ported box. Could be on the deck (not my preference) or in the truck (better), front or rear facing. Bass travels well regardless of placement, and most amps now let you digitally filter the response and simulate the bass speaker distance from your ears for the best bass sound. The box, the wattage, speaker design, distance the wave has to travel and the location can clean or muddy the bass.
    • One 5 channel amp: Front 2 channels, rear 2 channels and 1 for subwoofer OR two amps: A four channel for front and rear and another amp for the subwoofer. Both require more amperage than the stock second gen Camaro alternator so be prepared to upgrade to 100 amps or more and a larger feed wire.
    • A good amp wire set and heavy speaker wires to get the power to the amp(s) and speakers.

10. slayer021175666

6.5 (yes, diameter) In front doors or kick panels. Tweeters mounted to A-Pillar. 6x9s in the package tray. Subwoofer in the trunk.