Car Trailer or Ramp Truck Car Hauler??

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by jayfire, Nov 5, 2016.

1. jayfire

jayfire Veteran Member

I have been going back and forth on whether to keep my car trailer or trade it for a car hauler truck. My trailer is a 2013 10k Big Tex 18 ft tilt trailer with an electric hydraulic system, 12000lb winch, toolbox, electric jack. Very nice and works great. Now a guy wants to trade his personal hauler for the last 30 years, 1980 Ford F350 with 460, C6 and 19ft Ramp with winch and stinger attachment. Looks like a new paint job and it would be good to go. What's your opinions on which one to have? I mostly use mine 2-3 times a year and maybe 5 hour drives to pick up project cars. Thoughts please. Thanks

2. 351maverick

351maverick Veteran Member

I haul a lot of cars and would NEVER buy a rollback

why?

another vehicle sitting around here - registration/insurance is big $$$ plus you need to keep it running - nothing worse than a truck sitting around - batteries going dead, gas going bad etc

3. mrdragster1970

mrdragster1970 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Chicago, Illinois..... Far S.W. Subs, RT 66 Area

For what you do, I wouldn't change a thing, especially for a 36 year old possibly beat to death vehicle.
    A trailer can be pulled by anything, that truck can only be pulled by a big ass tow truck in an emergency!!!!

4. ol' grouch

ol' grouch Veteran Member

If it was a roll back with new hydraulics, I'd say go for it. A ramp truck though, I've seen them bend things underneath. Drive shafts are particularly susceptible to damage. In addition, you have to have (at least in Indiana) recovery plates and insurance. I see a lot of guys run regular plates with enough weight payment get by, but you haul someone elses car just once as a favor, you may get hammered with fines if you get caught. Also, keep in mind, the gearing on those types of trucks, if they're built right, is way low. I've seen 4.88 gears in them. That's probably why the guy wants to trade. I ran a salvage yard and will never own a wrecker of any type as insurance is a killer on them.

5. jayfire

jayfire Veteran Member

Thank you all for the excellent advice. The "ooooh & aaaah" factor of having a ramp truck blinded me from the whole up keep, insurance part of it. I will keep my trailer. Thanks

6. mrdragster1970

mrdragster1970 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Chicago, Illinois..... Far S.W. Subs, RT 66 Area

You don't use it enough.
    If you were a points racer, then it would definitely be cool.

7. night rider

night rider Veteran Member

For your limited use, what you have now sounds like the best thing. The tilt deck trailers are really nice and easy to load. It really don't sound like you use it enough to need a ramp truck and the extra cost of owning one. I have a trailer and a ramp truck. I part out cars and buy 20+ a year, plus have to haul the left over shells to the crusher. So I use mine at least 40 times a year. The trailer worked fine for me the 1st year but I found it to be slow to hitch, load, strap down, unload, unhitch, and getting into some of these peoples yards, backyards, etc to pick up a car was tougher with the trailer. So I started looking for a ramp truck and found a good deal on an old Chevy C30, 18' ramp bed. For me it's faster, and easier, and time is money. The ramp truck is 'fully contained' meaning all of my tools, straps, chains, etc are always on/in the truck and when I find a great deal I can just jump in the truck and go. I don't have to waste an hour's worth of time getting all my tools and gear ready and loaded.
    In my state (GA.) Tag and insurance is not a problem. Std. car tag and insurance. My tag is $20 a year on the ramp truck, $12 a year on the trailer. Insurance on the ramp truck is $330 per year. Mine is a gas SBC engine, th-400 trans. Gets 13 mpg unloaded and about 11 mpg loaded. 0207151608-01.jpg 20160408_132603.jpg

8. CamarosRus

CamarosRus Veteran Member

P1000393.JPG

9. Rich Schmidt

Rich Schmidt Veteran Member

I had an open trailer years and dreamed of building a ramp truck. I finally bought an enclosed trailer,and never looked back. It is the only way to go. Leave the car in it year round,it stays out of the weather,I never have to load and unload stuff every time I race,and it makes a great place to sit out of the sun when racing on a hot day don't need to tie up garage space with my car and don't need to worry about it getting rusted or beat up while outside. The only thing I miss is that people can't see how col my car is when I am rolling down the road.

10. Rich Schmidt

Rich Schmidt Veteran Member

And the cost isn't as big as you might think. I paid $1500 for my first enclosed trailer that was an older 22 foot Haulmark with new tires,and I paid $5600 for my brand new 22 foot American Hauler with finished interior back in 2006,and even made some upgrades. It is still like new except it needs tires,and I bet I would have a hard time getting $2500 for it right now.