Carb or distrubutor? Car running weird

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting & Diagnosis' started by jawknee21, Dec 6, 2016.

1. camarolife78

camarolife78 Veteran Member

I read one of your posts say that some of the wires were touching the headers and arching? And after that they had hard spots in them....That right there is probably going to be your issue since the car was running fine and then all of a sudden was not.

I would swap the wires out, then route them and use clip or ties to keep them off the headers and go from there. I ended up buying spark plug wire heat sleeves for all of my wires to prevent accidental touching to the header, and to prevent burning from a couple of the plug boots that are too close to the header tube.

jawknee21 likes this.
  2. perkalator

perkalator Veteran Member

You messed with the distributor, your father noticed the wires are arcing. start the car in the dark and look for arcs. if it was running fine a few weeks ago and this came on all of a sudden there is no need to start changing to different springs in the carb. change your plug wires and have the ignition module tested.

jawknee21 likes this.
  3. jawknee21

jawknee21 Member

So yesterday we swapped distributors and the mid range problem went away. Now I'm just trying to tune the rest. I bought wires to change. But I have to find if they're arcing. We used the wire separators to get them off the headers but I'm not sure if it's too late to save these wires or not. I'm going to drive it more today and see. I changed springs again. Stock seemed worse than pink so I'm going to try yellow. I'm sure it's the cam that's making it hard to tune.