Carbon fiber body parts

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by ks71z28, Apr 3, 2006.

1. driftwood

driftwood Veteran Member

That looks very nice.Can't wait to see the finished product.
    Good luck.

2. Brian Callahan

Brian Callahan Veteran Member

3. fbodyfreak

fbodyfreak Veteran Member

you got email!

4. ks71z28

ks71z28 Veteran Member NastyZ28 Sponsor NastyZ28 Sponsor Lifetime Gold Member

cf

Guys I am just one man! Really it is just a hobby, a big one at that. I have a seasonal job and and engineering degree, so i get the opportunity to make neat stuff for my 2nd gen. If you guys are patient and truely interested I will produce a trunk lid, flat hood, RS nose, RS bumpers, and maybe something else. I may have a finished deck lid by the end of the week. The only thing that holds me back are the 50-100 hours to develope good molds, and free time. Well don't forget the nastyness of working with the toxic chemicals involved. Don't let me discourage any of you. If we can pool some resources, we Cali guys may have some parts that no one else has or can get. That is what sets us apart from the 1st gen guys, Mr. Anyone drives a 69 Camaro. Please don't be affended I have owned many 1st gens, but my first Camaro I still have, my 71. Not to mention trade! I make this stuff, what do you have. We need to organize a California 2nd gen meeting sometime. I know there are some neat guys doing some cool things, or we could just wait till the Cool suppliers get around to make 2nd gen parts, long after the 1st gens are tired of their stuff. thanks for your interest.

Keith

KS71z28@netzero.com

5. BonzoHansen

BonzoHansen Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Flat hoods rule!

6. Ceth

Ceth Veteran Member

Mmmm make a 3 inch carbon fiber cowl. You realize with your enginuity, you could possibly have the lighest 2nd gen ever. :p

7. John Wright

John Wright Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

With our cars the weight needs to come off the nose first. The pics of the innerside of that truck lid looks impressive. Can you save these molds once you have fabricated them and use them over and over? What I'm getting at is.... you are spending the up front time developing the molds, and if they can be used over and over, you could recoup your investment pretty quickly I would imagine. Lots of 2gen guys want to lose weight off thier cars these days. Cowl hoods and front clips would sell quick.

8. camrs73

camrs73 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

RS nose!! the urethane weighs a ton. cant get much more farther forward for weight removal then that :cool:

9. hardline_42

hardline_42 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

10. driftwood

driftwood Veteran Member

I'm with ya,here's what I have been reading to study up on.Beware,the link may not be dial up friendly,but worth the wait.
    http://www.turbomustangs.com/techarticles/PBcarbonfiber.php

He is doing his entire body with it,don't know if I want to go that far,but seeing the savings may provoke it.