carburated lsx?

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by Camaro_73, May 4, 2014.

1. Camaro_73

Camaro_73 Veteran Member

Anybody running a carb`d ls?

What are you running and what all did you do to get it going?

2. turbodarryl

turbodarryl Veteran Member

I'm using a carb on my swap but have not started it up yet, I'm using a Edelbrock Victor Jr, a 650 Demon carb for now, and a MSD 6010 to control the ignition, what exactly you need to know?

3. Camaro_73

Camaro_73 Veteran Member

How easy is it to plug up?
    Are there any issues with wiring it to the original hey switch?

I guess mainly the wiring part of it since wiring is not my strong suit.

& a 650 will be to small from the research that I've done but it'll do the job for now.

4. Protour-Camaro

Protour-Camaro Veteran Member

Why would you want to use a carb? Without crunching the #s...the cost of a quality carb and a separate ignition controller would cost more than OEM Fuel injection. Plus don't you need to run a different camshaft in a carb application?

5. scot1074

scot1074 Veteran Member

I was kinda thinking the same thing, why would you want to put a carb on that engine when most of the benefits come from the fuel injection. I'm really thinking of putting the ls fuel injection on my big block.

6. DFWJ

DFWJ Veteran Member

makes me want to bang my head against the wall when people carb an LS. I can understand the appeal if it's a drag car and you are trying to simplify things. It's just not optimal.

I'd much rather have the sequential injection than a carb, like my BBC for example...

scot1074, You can run the individual coils with the 24 tooth crank sensor but you will still need a 'mock dist' to run the oil pump and get a cam signal. I assume your running a wet sump.

7. Camaro_73

Camaro_73 Veteran Member

Cheaper, easier to tune, no wire re work or pcm flash/tune. Can use truck accessories with no hassle. And I can use my stock fuel tank/ sending unit. Seems a lot cheaper and can get just as good gas mileage when dyno tuned.

8. 77nomad

77nomad Veteran Member

We put a LS in a '04 Ram that had a carb in the beginning. The MSD 6010 was plug and play and the timing curves can be as simple as pills or custom with a laptop. The intake is a GMPP single plane. Stock coils. That set up is long gone but it worked to fire the motor and get it running. It has since been switched to EFI.

Not much wiring needed really. Making the Chevy parts talk to the Dodge truck. PITA. Most of the way there but still need to get the Dash cluster right. We drilled the GM sensores out to thread Mopar sensors in their place or used reducers where we could. The trans was a joy too. But test passes are near.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 19, 2014
  9. david.carlton@s

david.carlton@s Veteran Member

I like the idea of a carb too. That's the way I would do it for starters...

But what about a fuel pump? What's easy and/or best?

10. 77nomad

77nomad Veteran Member

On the stand it had a Holley Blue. The truck runs a cell with a pair Weldon 255's for now.