carburated lsx?

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by Camaro_73, May 4, 2014.

1. Camaro_73

Camaro_73 Veteran Member

I feel that way too. The ls engines don't get the nice solid rumble out of just the engines like the old engines with big cams. But I need reliability unfortunately and decent hassle mileage and building onto ls engines are just smarter all the way around than building up a SBC or bbc

2. Camaro_73

Camaro_73 Veteran Member

And I didn't mean for this to turn into a efi vs carb debate. I know 99% of guys on here have efi so it's kind of uneven LOL

3. Protour-Camaro

Protour-Camaro Veteran Member

Im sure the difference in sound has to do with the firing order of the engine and obviously the exhaust. Fuel injection doesnt change the sound of the rumble.

4. Leonards78LT

Leonards78LT Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Still got the Q-jet from when I used to run a carb back on the Camaro back in 1995, running the '81 cowl induction hood. When I got this thing tuned just right, it would run like a scalded dog! It had 350, bored 30 over, Edlebrock performer intake, 72cc ported and polished heads, roller rockers, and a erson TQ20 cam and headers. Running a THM350 with a 3.08 gear.

This book probably helped me more than anything else back in the day. And I actually helped a bunch of buddies get theirs running right.

[​IMG]

5. Protour-Camaro

Yea, I can't even comprehend why anyone would want a carb if they were offered fuel injection.

Who wouldnt like the easy start up and go and the smooth running car even with agressive camshafts...I guess you only appreciate that stuff when you drive the car often.

6. SupplySgt

SupplySgt Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

20mpg out of the 73 on my last 1800 mile road trip a couple weeks ago (keep in mind .82 5th with 3.73s means 28-2900 RPM between 75 and 80) and it's only been minor adjustments since 2012. Of course even when I go T56 I won't be able to avoid the aerodynamic limitations of the body style.

The 78 (2.73s) gets 23-24mpg with no OD. Or at least it did before it the L31 killed the trans. 0411 PCM gives the same tuneability as the LS motors. It'll have OD soon and maybe a change in gearing. Again, limited (although not quite as much) by the drag coefficient.

Never had an SBC die on me. But good Lord they've killed a lot of my transmissions....

7. Leonards78LT

Leonards78LT Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

EFI is really the way to go. I found this out in '96 when I converted my '82 Skylark 2.8 V6 to MPFI. The 2 bbl. Varajet would not cut it anymore and was a complicated piece of work.

That first winter convinced me that I would go FI in my Camaro.

8. 1981gMachine

1981gMachine Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Hard to think how society ever survived with carbs for so long... people were prolly late for work all the time. Stuck when the weather got cold...

Yeah, I appreciate my car starting every time for work in the morning. Runs well no matter the weather and runs better when the air is cool. Good thing I converted my car to a Carb.

Seriously thou, the guy WANTS to know about carbing a LS motor. Now that I know how much the room is sided I'd personally go carb on a LS just for that reason. I'm not one to be cookie cutter with my cars.

9. Protour-Camaro

There is a reason why modern cars are all injected...even things like generators, ATVs, motorcycles etc are all fuel injected these days. It wasnt done because carbs are so great :rolleyes:

Carbs work yes we get it, so does a typewriter. This really isnt a battle of which one is better...because we all know Fuel Injection is better. There really is no comparison other than cost and simplicity. When it comes to performance, throttle response, drivability, fuel economy etc. FI is going to win.

If the OP wants to throw a carb on the LS, have at it, all we are saying is, youre missing out on the benefit of modern technology

10. Todd80Z28

Todd80Z28 Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

No Qjet intakes for LS, so I no care.:)