carburated lsx?

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by Camaro_73, May 4, 2014.

1. 77nomad

77nomad Veteran Member

I have an EFI small block and another with a Proform 750. Hands down the Proform is more snappier. Even free revving. Granted my EFI motor is from the dark ages of EFI, that would be TBI. I kind of remember my moms IROC being responsive. Didnt get my seat time there though. She was worried about tickets and accidents and oh yeah that fleeing and eluding I got when I was 15 didnt help. :)

2. 351maverick

351maverick Veteran Member

OP you a smart guy to go with a carb on an LS motor - it really is the best of both worlds....modern engine/head design, but with carb simplicity

I drive thousands of miles/year with the Edelbrock 600 on the 305 in my 86 Monte...40 degrees to 90 degrees, rain, sleet, hot muggy days etc etc

it has never failed to start, and runs perfectly....if not I can tune it with a screwdriver

the guys who bash carbs are the ones with MONEY, which is not I

3. muscl car

muscl car Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

If fuel injection is so great then why are a lot of race cars still using carbs even on LS motors

4. Camaro_73

Camaro_73 Veteran Member

Well all the cars and other fuel injected engines come from a factory in which they have the money to make them fuel injected. MY ONLY reasons with going carb is MONEY (cheaper) & being New to the ls world it's getting my foot in the door while still being able to work on it since I know how to tune a carb. Hands down fuel injection is better than carb on a daily driver but what makes 80% of the ls engines the best is the all around design. Adding fuel injection to it was just the cherry on top.

Trust me. Id love to have an lq9 with a big cam, ls6 intake and a set of good size injectors but I just can't afford that on my very low budget. We all know what bare ls6 intakes.go for by themselves and for me at that price is a carb intake and the msd box needed to run a carb on an ls. Not including the rest of the intake, then wire re work, pcm tune/flash, fuel tank, fuel lines, car accessories and whatever miscellaneous things I would need

Last edited: May 23, 2014
  5. Camaro_73

Camaro_73 Veteran Member

And now I'm assuming 100% of the guys on here all have efi. Lol

6. 1981gMachine

1981gMachine Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

What happens if you make an upgrade? Spend a few bucks and time and tune the carb yourself with basic hand tools. EFI you are taking it somewhere to get tuned and spending a lot more money. Jets, Power Valves, Accelerator pump nozzles etc are all <$20 parts and make a world of difference when tuned correctly.

Ignition is a big thing with carbs. Lots of people who have "carb" problems actually have an ignition problem.

7. Rockcrusher73

Rockcrusher73 New Member

This what I love about internet forums. The original poster asked for information on putting a carb on an LS engine. 4 pages later and it's become mostly a carb vs. EFI debate. He didn't ask about EFI so why bring it up? There's plenty of places for that debate but this isn't it.

8. Camaro_73

Camaro_73 Veteran Member

It's ok I like the debate even though there really isn't one it's simple. Efi is better but more expensive. Carb CAN be the same with minor tweaking every now and then but cheaper.

Id still like to know if anybody on here has.done it but I don't think so.

9. Protour-Camaro

Protour-Camaro Veteran Member

Not really, its more informative.

How many times have you told your buddy you plan to go out a buy a "X" and he says whoa dude I wouldnt because of etc...

I have had people talk sense into me when I had my mind to go in one direction.

10. Camaro_73

Camaro_73 Veteran Member

There's no changing my mind unless 4k drops into my lap