Cast welding

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by bodymanbill, Jan 20, 2017.

1. bodymanbill

bodymanbill Veteran Member

image.jpg image.jpg I never attempted to weld cast before but figured id give it a try on a 64 Comet im restoring with my new welder. The customer had it JB welded so I couldn't do any worse

2. bodymanbill

image.jpg image.jpg It's coming out pretty decent, definitely time consuming, im going to spend a little more time on it on Monday, a little more welding and grinding and ceramic powdercoat and it should look fine. Hit it and pryed it and seems to be holding

3. bodymanbill

image.jpg

4. mrdragster1970

mrdragster1970 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Chicago, Illinois..... Far S.W. Subs, RT 66 Area

Sweet, I have a $3000 block sitting on the shelf with a broke starter pad, wish you were closer.
    I asked many guys here and none would attempt it.

5. 71flh

71flh Veteran Member

When welding cast iron, my googling says get the part hot before starting to weld. I plan a time in a hot oven for mine and a OA torch for the weld. Not so practical for a block...

6. djorgensen3

djorgensen3 Veteran Member

Just watched this today.

7. Rich Schmidt

Rich Schmidt Veteran Member

When I bought my block I got a great deal on it because the outer starter bolt had broke out thru the casting. When having the block machined the shop sent it out to a guy who fixed it with Ni rod and it has held up for years and is almost undetectable. The shop charged me $300 and I am not sure how much was paid to the welder vs how much they charged me to machine everything back to spec. It can be done. The machine shop I use is known for doing vintage engines like flatheads and oddball 80+ year old engines that almost always come to him looking like they spent the last 60 years in the bottom of the ocean and need all sorts of repairs. Maybe you can find a guy like that.

Also look for a real big rig diesel truck engine shop. Those parts cost tons of money(and weight tons too) they dont throw 2000 pounds of metal into the scrap heap just because of a few cracks. Heck,those guys would probably weld cracked iron with the engine in the truck.

Good luck.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2017
  8. Hey G

Hey G Veteran Member