Center Console cover cap for armrest

Discussion in 'Interior Restoration' started by Popper, Aug 1, 2019.

1. Popper

Popper Member

I know there are a couple of aftermarket options, couldn't find any info with the search function here. Can anyone verify quality of either or both. The cheaper version ($35-ish) i believe is a hard plastic and the more expensive one ($90-ish?) is a cushioned version. I think i remember that some may need to be glued on vs mounting screws. This is all from memory so i could be way off.

2. Scott51

Scott51 Veteran Member

Unless anyhing has changed recently stay away from the OER ones, their terrible quality is well established.

Despite fitting like poo and the color being way off I ran a rubbery OER firethorn red one for a while and it started fading and looking milky within a few months. It ended up in the bin and my old cracked one is back on there now

3. CDesperado

CDesperado Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

^ I disagree with this post.

I had 0 issues with my OER console lid. It fit perfectly and the grain pattern looks identical to my original (which was badly cracked). If you would like to see pictures, just let me know. Honestly, I dont think anyone would be able to tell the difference between this OER version and an NOS version. I bought a black one, painted it with SEM Landau Black, then hit it with SEM Satin Gloss Clear Coat.

I dont think Ive ever seen the $30 version in person, but I just googled it and based on the pictures I am seeing, I would be shocked if it fit well.

4. Bandit723

Bandit723 Veteran Member

I bought the OER one as well. Looks and fits well....

5. Popper

Popper Member

Thanks, I typically steer clear from anything OER because of past quality and fitment issues however it looks like this is the only reasonable option

6. CDesperado

CDesperado Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

People like to take a dump all over OER, but I have had very issues with most of their parts. I've even compared a lot of them to NOS parts and they are virtually identical in many cases.

That said, I have definitely had a few "misses" on OER parts over the years - but this center console lid wasnt one of them.

7. grzewnicki

grzewnicki Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I have had numerous issues with OER parts; front turn signals screws rusted, center console had no way to attach wires to light bulb holder, console lid cover (1972 console) is fading), gauge housing and lens parts did not fit together, there were a few more that I can't recall off the top of my head. Thinking of taking the console lid off and fabbing up a cup holder, not like I keep a bunch of stuff in my console. 2016 console I bought might work, but mucho work modding shifter plate and is a little tight with the seats I have installed now. SOmetimes I wish I had the ability to say eff it and take some of my $600,000 grand I have tucked away for retire ment and get all the little things that bug me done. Did just shell out $1500 for Atomic EFI and a Tanks inc tank and pump, its a start on spending some cash on her.

8. berg2695

berg2695 Veteran Member

I recommend rebuilding the old cover if you have the time and interest. The stock piece has a plastic structure underneath the cover and is vulnerable to breaking over time from elbows leaning on it. I stripped the cover off mine, glued the plastic back together, then reinforced it with sheetmetal and pop-rivets. You could use wood too. Then you can add foam padding and cover it with whatever you like. The custom cover would not work for a concours restore, of course, but I still recommend the reinforcement. I'll try to find a picture or two.