Ceramic VS Stainless Headers

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by patpkk, May 12, 2013.

1. patpkk

patpkk Veteran Member

I need opinions, especially if you have Ceramic headers that have been on your car for a while. Doing a LS3 swap on my 1970 Z28. I have been told by some people to buy stainless headers as ceramic will discolour becuase of heat transfer from aluminum heads.
    Will the Ceramic headers last long time and look good on aluminum heads? Stainless is so much money!

2. stevenp3762

stevenp3762 BANNED

Stainless blues over time......the ceramic won't. they can stain and be dificult to clean but stay nice. they can become less brilliant in shine but hold up nicely............HTH Steven

3. toddoky

toddoky Veteran Member

Are you mostly concerned with appearance or corrosion resistance? Ceramic coatings are primarily a thermal barrier which offer limited corrosion resistance due to the fact that it is a sprayed-on application process...if your talking about mild steel headers that means the inside of the tubes (in most cases) and the space between the tubes near the collector have zero protection even in a best-case scenario. Ceramic coated headers will last quite a few years in dry climate states but can be reduced to scrap within just a couple of years in states with severe weather. Stainless steel headers will turn from light gold to dark brown in use but will probably last longer than you will own your car if made from quality material. 409 stainless headers are barely stainless by definition (10.5 pecent chromium) and are not something you should waste your money on.

4. 973800CamaroRs

973800CamaroRs Veteran Member

Ceramic is cheaper and once it wears out you could always sand the old off and reapply a ceramic coating to the headers. I also like stainless because I think they look better and they will last a lot longer granted if you buy the 700+ dollar ones !

If anything I would say aluminium heads would run cooler than iron, aluminum transfers heat better at least...

5. sevitz5

sevitz5 Veteran Member

Here is a pic of the Stainless Works headers.....will never buy another set as long as you own the car.
    [​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

6. patpkk

patpkk Veteran Member

Looking mostly for long term appearance. Over time I would like it to still look presentable if I was to lift the hood and show the engine. As far as severe weather, the car will likley only see rain or bad weather if it ever got caught in it, otherwise it will be a sunny day cruiser. As I said earlier I was told by a local builder ceramic will look poorly after a couple of years.

7. patpkk

patpkk Veteran Member

Do you have stainless or ceramic on yours? Do you or anyone else have pictures of stainless or ceramic that have been in service for a while?

8. patpkk

patpkk Veteran Member

Very nice. Have you put any hours/miles on them yet? Have hey turned colour?

9. sevitz5

sevitz5 Veteran Member

They have turned a faint gold color so far.....I was told by Stainless Works that you could take a Scotch brite to them down the road to return them to their original color.

10. Protour-Camaro

Protour-Camaro Veteran Member

It really does come down to cost. The ceramic headers are significantly cheaper than the Stainless.