chambered exhaust

Discussion in 'High Performance Modifications' started by bonedoc, May 12, 2019.

1. bonedoc

bonedoc Member Lifetime Gold Member

has anyone retrofitted a 69" Camaro Z-28 chambered exhaust into our 2nd gens. Thinking of replacing the stock transverse rear muffler with chambered pipes. I have a 1971 Z-28 RS

2. 1980RS

1980RS Veteran Member

I am not sure why anyone would want that exhaust, I was at a car show there was a guy with an actual 69 Z/28 with the chambered exhaust and it sounds horrible, but it was with manifolds and that may be why. Even the owner said he did not like it but because it came on the car he left it. I am sure you could put it on a 2nd gen with some changes.

3. bonedoc

bonedoc Member Lifetime Gold Member

I guess its kind of like music. What sounds good to someone is "crap" for someone else

hubedobeedo and 1980RS like this.
  4. 1980RS

1980RS Veteran Member

I guess I am getting old, my Mom always used to say to us, if you can't hear this get the crap out of your ears :)

5. COPO

COPO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

It's also a HP robber. Read about it before you buy.

hubedobeedo likes this.
  6. Lowend

Lowend Administrator. .a car, a man, a maraca. Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

7. MagicRatt

MagicRatt Veteran Member

I had the 69 chambered system on my 70 L78 when I bought it back in 1985. Hooker super comps, 2 inch primary with a 3.5 inch collector reduced to 2.25 with a crossover pipe to boot!! Car sounded like a mopar with cherry bombs. That "brap brap brap" sound was unreal at 6000 rpm's. The tail pipes seemed to be slightly spread a bit to clear the corners of the gas tank. They exited at a funny angle below the rear pan. I still have the chambered system buried in my garage somewhere, thinking I might try to install it again on a first gen car should I ever acquire one. I remember it being stainless steel and pretty heavy.

Rich

Spoffie and hubedobeedo like this.
  8. Spoffie

Spoffie New Member

I was at a car show today and in rolled a '69 Hugger Orange Z/28. He gave a good rev before shutting it off and without looking I knew it was a chambered exhaust. Exhaust sound/tone is totally subjective- there's no right or wrong, but to me that system always has and always will sound terrible. If you want a system that sounds different (louder) and breaths better than stock, Pypes / MagnaFlow / Flowmaster has plenty of choices. This site carries them all: https://classicmusclecarexhaust.com/

9. DesmoEd

DesmoEd Veteran Member

I have the Flowmaster American Thunder system on my '73 and have been very pleased

[​IMG]

BillyDean7173 likes this.