Cheapest way to lower the front end ?

Discussion in 'Suspension, Steering, Brake & Wheel Topics' started by Docs Motorcycle Shoppe, Jan 5, 2018.

1. Docs Motorcycle Shoppe

Docs Motorcycle Shoppe New Member

So I bought a 77 LT but the front sets way to high.. Does anyone have a cheap and easy way to drop the front about 3-4 inches ?

2. RC79camaro

RC79camaro Veteran Member

If you really really want the cheapest...cut a coil off the springs

Do I personally recommend it? Absolutely not

3. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Removing one full coil will drop it about 2".
    This does increase the spring rate a bit... By an inverse proportion of the number of coils.
    (If you had 10 coils and cut off 1... you would have 10/9ths of the original spring rate.)

Post pics to show us how it sits.
    Unless it has no engine... I can't see why it would be sitting so high as to need a 3-4" drop.

4. CorkyE

CorkyE Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

The absolute cheapest and quickest way is to put blocks under the front frame/sub-frame, just slightly higher that you want it to sit, then heat the springs with a torch. No removal required, and has many side effects such as burning off the old grease around the ball joints, making a smoke show for the neighbors, and giving the volunteer fire department some much needed practice. I know a kid that did the heat treatment on a nice looking 66 Fairlane, no fire involved but in about 2 months, it was sitting on the bump stops.

Morale of the story here - do it right with the correct lowering springs. I've done the cut and check, cut and check, and didn't like the outcome. YMMV

5. harbone66

harbone66 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Buy new lowering springs but like terry said, how can it be that high?

6. Jon Randolph

Jon Randolph Member

Solid body mounts set at 1/2" body drop setting....about $100 for a 1/2" drop up front.

Herb Adams mod out back...FREE 1/2" drop out back if you have a drill bit and some time.

7. Desert_Dick72SS

Desert_Dick72SS Veteran Member

Nothing wrong with cutting springs...if it's done right. Just cut a little at a time and check it....
    (Certainly better than heating and collapsing a coil-old school, but I've done both in my youth...)

-Rich

8. 79supergasdriver

79supergasdriver A Scholar and a Gentleman

I cut coils on my previous '79 and hated the result. Yeah it sat down a bit but the springs never went back in the same and I was very careful to cut exactly one full coil so the two ends were in the same clock positions. The passenger side rubbed inside the frame and every little bump sounded just like a rusty mattress one would hear as the camera pans away from the bedroom to imply sex is happening. Decent lowering springs are not terribly expensive and available through every major retailer and someone in your area probably has a used set for sale. I got 2" drop Hotchkis sport springs from a guy for $100...then ended up buying his '79Z about a month later and putting them right back in the same car he pulled them out of lol. 26221174_1983306255018371_5219857219209969695_o.jpg

9. tom3

tom3 Veteran Member

Clamps with high strength bolts and double nuts, pull one or two coils down as needed. Or add a leaf to the rear springs to level it up?

10. John Wright

John Wright Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Cutting a coil off the front spring will work, but you will probably not have enough spring rate to hold the car up off the tires when encountering bumps in the road. I ran my car that way for awhile, but it was way better once I purchased a set of MOOG#5664 coil springs off of ebay for $54 for the set shipped to my door. These sit my car alot lower, yet have a #707 spring rate to keep the car off the tires. It sits low enough that I have to pick up on the fender to get the floor jack under the front crossmember.

edit: added pic
    [​IMG]

Brett Liukkonen and Rene Melten like this.