check these SAM'S CLUB steaks out!

Discussion in 'Bon Appetite - NastyZ Style' started by kik_start, May 8, 2011.

1. kik_start

kik_start BANNED

It doesn't get any better folks....

[​IMG]

This and a baked potato, salad and a bottle of wine will make you one happy camper!

Last edited: May 8, 2011
  2. 72350RS

72350RS Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Yummmm. Sam's and Costco both have good meats...

I refuse to get ripped off anymore on meats at the local Kroger...

And why is it that nobody, Nobody carries frozen, uncooked crab?

3. hogg

hogg Veteran Member

i found that i could buy them on sale an frezz them ,when starting to grill ,put then on froze ,seen on tv, makes them very tender, GOOD!

4. 351maverick

351maverick Veteran Member

steak and wine?

5. gordonquixote

gordonquixote Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Wow, John....those steaks look awesome...I'm hungry!

b/c if you freeze w/o cooking, the meat sticks to the shell and is a PITA to eat.

6. Bikefixr

Bikefixr Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Problem is that crab doesn't hold very well. The crab boats are out for 2, 3 or more weeks at a time, there is no choice but to freeze them on the boat if it's a factory ship. If it's a smaller boat, they can hold them in their live-tanks only so long. By the time they dock, unload, pack and ship out..they spoil.

I did (once only) order live King Crab as a special treat for a special event. We supplemented with frozen. The frozen King was from Coscto at $9.99 a lb. The fresh crap was sent via Federal Express...it worked out to $55 a pound! Ouch! Having eaten both, there was a difference. The live and fresh cooked crab was better. But not by much. If it came down to $5 or so a pound more..I'd go live every time. But honestly, the difference was small and not worth anything even remotely close to the extra $45/lb.

Point is, frozen King Crab is very good and 90+% as good fresh, live crab cooked at home. Living close to NY we can get some fish at good prices. Sword, tuna etc..can be had right off the NY docks. But we can't get fresh Halibut, or Cod or many other West Coast fish unless frozen. I'm glad that most fish freezes well.

7. pokey_159

pokey_159 Veteran Member

sams- you cant BEAT there meat :)
    ---un beatible

8. 72350RS

Ahhh, Thanks for answering that for me, Gordo and Bikefixr.... I never could figure that one out.

So, it's also impossible to buy fresh, uncooked crab, as well... (well almost..lol). Prohibitively expensive is the correct turn of phrase...

I remember back years ago living overseas and buying some variety of, I think, blue crab at the seafood market, sitting in tubs of ice, and by the time you got those fellas home an hour later they were feeling much better and friskier...Glad they still kept rubber bands on the claws. We'd boil them, eat the claws, and my friend's cousin would make a kind of crab soup with the rest of the goodies she salvaged from the crab... Don't know much about that... I was interested in her more than I was her cooking...
    I remember you could buy sea urchins at that market too. She would break them open and use the urchins in a salad. Never much cared for that ,but it still seemed pretty cool and primitive so I ate it anyway...
    Anyway, you can't buy crabs like that here (omitting the King Crab/ Dungeness, etc with the legs, obviously...), and I never remember seeing them in South Carolina... and we'd buy shrimp off the trawlers! But you could catch them in the intercoastal waterway if you had a permit...

Just rambling, now. Sorry for the tangent.

We're making the sandwiches this weekend. I need to stay on the diet. But one day a week, I'm giving myself a break...:D

Those steaks are beautiful. I ate a "cowboy steak" at some cowboy theme park restaurant around Tuscon AZ, where they took the frozen steaks and cooked them on a massive wood burning grill. but that's the only time I've heard of it. And they weren't advertising them cooked that way.

Last edited: May 12, 2011
  9. 72350RS

Sooo.... what are the tricks to cooking a frozen steak?

Everything I know tells me to have the raw meat at room temp before I throw it on a grill.

Is there an initial sear temp they recommend or what?

10. kik_start

kik_start BANNED

They were GOOD steaks.........believe me....

The filet was so tender it was unreal!

I have some pics of some ribeyes, about to post....:)