Classic car prices- is this just Ontario or everywhere?

Discussion in 'Canadian Owners' started by Eric, Feb 21, 2019.

1. Eric

Eric Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Yes, the prices are in Canadian Dollars, but not so relevant- the last couple years these sellers have gone nuts- and a 1985 El Dorado and the like isn't worth $11,000 (US Dollars) at the current exchange rate either. The one thing people need to look at when trying compare prices in foreign countries is that the car isn't in Texas or wherever- so the US Dollar price is not directly comparable- i.e. if someone in the US wants to bring it across a border, there will be additional time, effort and cost. Likewise, a $5000.00 US Dollar car in Texas (or $6900 CAD at the current exchange rate) could easily become a $7000 US Dollar car to get it physically into Canada (i.e. $9700.00 CAD)- the bonus being that a car that has been in the southern US is likely to have alot less rust issue that most of what is to be found in Canada unless it was NEVER driven in snow.

It is this border-crossing effort and cost that has traditionally kept used Canada-based cars priced lower compared to US-based cars; far more potential buyers in the US but the extra expense and effort diminishes its value compared to a car that is already US-based for a US buyer. If a seller wants to load the car up and move it physically and paper-work wise to the US to sell it, that's different- now they can reasonably demand a US-scaled price- but that's not what we're seeing here. We're also not seeing any sort of car difference- for the most part, the same cars to be found in Canada are/were also found in the US (i.e. not like the European or Australian markets).

2. jfreakofkorn

jfreakofkorn Veteran Member

called the barret jackson syndrome, its an epidemic that is spreading around

3. camaro8505

camaro8505 New Member

Ya i hear ya, i had a tough time finding a decent priced 2nd gen that wasn't either so far gone or if it was decent way too over priced, took awhile but i found one finally.

4. QUAKE_WARS

QUAKE_WARS Veteran Member

No portion may be used with or without permission
    Owning a classic is like owning Stocks and bonds. Tx is really out of hand with prices. You should see what junk sells for:(