Clear tail lights.

Discussion in 'Rader Classics' started by Lrader99, Dec 13, 2012.

Any interested in clear tail lights/ side marker lights for '70-'73

Poll closed Jan 12, 2013.
  1. I am interested in this

19.6%
  2. I am not interested

25.5%
  3. I would like to see pictures before deciding

56.9%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bumpad_Z28

Bumpad_Z28 Veteran Member

Update on 78-81 Front side markers ?

2. Lrader99

Lrader99 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Made some yesterday. They are curing.

3. 77nomad

77nomad Veteran Member

WOW! 21 pages, I read most of them. Cant wait to see the 78-81 tail lights. I have been kicking around side markers lights but cant decide on color. My car will be Switchblade Silver, a common GM color. With 79 Z28 Stripes. Clear would almost disappear. Smoke is my first thought but cant decide!!! I wish you were closer. I would love to see your molds. Vacuum would probably helped your fill issues. The trick is getting the vac channel small enough to not show up in the product. Without 80-1000 tons of clamping force I'm not sure how I would do that.

As always, good job. Patiently waiting.

4. Lrader99

The molds are high density high strength silicone. The 70-73 molds each way 8 lbs with silicone cost of $27 per lb. plus 3 smaller molds for the inner pieces weighing 3 lbs a piece. Just the mold cost for 70-73 tail lights is $1100 this set is the third full set of 70-73 molds I've made in order to get a quality product.

I know some of you have been waiting a while but now you have an idea of my upfront cost.

Fill issues were from mold design and proper vent locations as well as fill location. Resin is vacuumed to eliminate bubbles. Part is injection molded and then pressure cast @ 78 psi. 80psi is the max for this resin. The pressure cast helps disperse fluid as well as prevent bubbles from forming during the curing process.

It has been a painfully expensive journey but I finally am able to consistently produce the quality of product that I want to deliver.

5. 77nomad

77nomad Veteran Member

Your pressure is essentially what we would call pack and hold. We can alter the PSI up to machine pressure (2500 psi) and time. So it would push the material in with pack for x time at y psi. Then switch to the hold phase where we could bump up the psi to really hold the resin against the walls of the cavity or use it as a slow relaxation of pressure to allow the part sufficient time to cool over x amount of time. A typical cylce would be 30-60 seconds from plastication to ejection.

When you have to let the mold sit, are there any things that speed the process? Like heat or cold? A slick idea would be 1/4" vinyl tubing molded in to the mold if that were the case. If you were really on the ball you could place them near the thickest area to speed curing. Then plump to a chliller/heater of some sort. You would be amazed at what water temp does to plastic molds. You could literally change a cored hole dia by .005" with just water temp. You can also remove warp or help control sinks.

Sorry dont mean to bore you. Just like to do my own at home protects like this. Oh yeah, we spend anywhere from $60,000 to $250,000 to have the Chinese design and build a tool, then wait another three months while its on the boat ride over. Then another 20-30k in tweeks to the tool just to get the customer happy. The last one I did was for a plastic shot gun mount for cop cars. Try making a plastic mount that cant be broken. We spent a year just sampling resins.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2014
  6. Jakeblue

Jakeblue Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Update on the taillights?

7. Lrader99

Mold remakes are all almost done. Jake.

8. Jakeblue

Jakeblue Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Lee, I tried to call you this past Friday. Left a message with phone number. Call me when you can.

9. ruthlessz28

ruthlessz28 Member

Im so interested in 78-81 lens I hate the factory orange lens for turn signals

10. stroked383

stroked383 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Lee, I was just over on your webpage and it looks like you've been busy, good for you. Under the 78-81 clear side markers it only has the option to order 70-73 markers in clear or smoke, is this an typo or are the later style not available yet?
    I am also extremely interested in the power mirror conversion, any time frame on the availability and pricing of these?
    Thanks
    Steve

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.