CLTUCH PROBLEMS!! Muncie 4 speed

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting & Diagnosis' started by '71StreetZ, Jul 30, 2019.

1. '71StreetZ

'71StreetZ Member

Hello all, I have a Muncie in my car that I just can’t seem to get the clutch right on it has had many problems all related to the throwout bearing, this is a 10 spline Muncie that has been rebuilt earlier this summer a GM 6263756 bellhousing 12” three finger clutch and 168 tooth flywheel the general problem is that the throwout bearing/clutch fork is makin a pop and a jerking-dropping motion near the end of its travel and won’t disengage all the way to be able to get into reverse at a complete stop, is the clutch over extending? What would make the clutch fork pop like this?
    Link to video:

2. COPO

COPO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Ok, I'll play. Sounds like the clutch isn't the correct height with the fingers.
    The TO bearing you s/b using is
    [​IMG]

And I'd ditch the 3 finger pressure plate for a 18 finger
    [​IMG]

3. '71StreetZ

'71StreetZ Member

I thought it might’ve been a pressure plate issue and an 18 finger clutch is on the list of new parts (Mcleod street pro will be this winter project) the three fingers are flat and level and the clutch still bites good, but what is the difference in the throw outs you have pictured? Looks like one has a shorter height therefore would be a bigger space between the fingers and the bearing surface?
    Thanks for the quick response
    Also I know someone is going to ask about the spring arrangement there’s two on the bottom of the fork just to try and get some pedal return back usually have one on bottom and one from the check hole in the Zbar to the top of the fork to hold it together when it pops sometimes it will stay there

4. COPO

The TO bearing on the left is the old type and the one on the right is current from GM.

5. 70lt1z28

70lt1z28 Veteran Member Gold Member

Kind of surprised that the fork opening around the TO bearing diameter would allow it to move sideways that much. I thought it was a tighter fit. I'll check mine tonight since its eternally apart.

Your are using a 12 inch truck bell? Assume you are using a truck snout on the Muncie or have a spacer?

6. COPO

The TO bearing should fit like a glove. Zero slop on the bearing retainer.

7. '71StreetZ

'71StreetZ Member

I am using an advanced adapter spacer for the Muncie nose cone / bearing retainer the Throwout fits the retainer tight but the end of the fork does move up and down and seems like it doesn’t hold the TO by the center the popping is the springs of the fork where the pivot ball is held in catching on something in the bell housing so I’ll pull it off and see if I can file/Dremel some material off seems that the fork also has a hard time staying in the dimple with the pivot ball might just need a new clutch fork but the last one I bought was garbage is there a difference between the clutch fork on a car and a truck bell housing?

Last edited: Jul 31, 2019
  8. czizza

czizza Veteran Member

It looks like you have a broken bearing retainer ... the throwout rides on that and it is shifting and clanking so it looks like it fell off. Only way to know you will need to drop the tranny. Sorry bro!.

9. '71StreetZ

'71StreetZ Member

Bearing retainer isn’t broken have had the trans out a few days ago I’ve pulled that darn thing so many times it’s not funny I think I’ve got her beaten into submission now but still sticks every once in awhile looks like I just need a new clutch fork

10. kenny77

kenny77 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

A popping in the pedal is almost always broken pressure plate fingers/springs. When stepping on the clutch, the plate gets to a certain point and you feel the pop or jerk as the spring on one or two of the fingers are snapped.

WTH is a 12 inch clutch doing in there?