clutch ?'s

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by Deth, Mar 18, 2006.

1. Deth

Deth Member

ok im going to a 4 speed and ive been told going to a hydraulic clutch isnt too hard. anyone have any thoughts??

2. schitzo

schitzo Veteran Member

leave it mechanical.......

3. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

You can go hydraulic, but why? It costs more, is more unreliable, has higher maintenance costs, has less clutch "feel", and has no advantages. Hydraulic clutches are one of the modern ways of doing a simple task in a difficult and expensive way and screwing it up.

4. Deth

Deth Member

thats what i thought too but i figured i'd confirm and maybe see if anyone had done it and did notice any advantage. thanks for the advice guys. mechanical it stays

5. Nick Gifford

Nick Gifford Veteran Member

"Hydraulic clutches are one of the modern ways of doing a simple task in a difficult and expensive way and screwing it up"

I had a 1965 Singer Vogue with a hydraulic clutch as my first car. In fact, a lot of european cars at that time had them. It was as unreliable as the brakes, because it worked exactly the same way. Most cars over here now have gone back to cable. The brakes haven't though.