Code Scanners

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting & Diagnosis' started by xten, Dec 1, 2016.

1. xten

xten Veteran Member

A couple of the major auto manufacturers started mandating pre and post scans for their vehicles that have been involved in an accident. This would be for the ones throwing a code and or turning on a light. GM jumped on the bandwagon Oct 21st or so I've read. This usually means the rest will follow suit. I have been asking tech buddies what's their tool of choice and it seems the go-to scanner is the Snap-On SOLUS, although they all say none of them do everything. My primary concerns would be, but not limited to SRS, TPS and ABS. Those would be the most common ones I would be dealing with. I would appreciate any input, since the better ones are expensive and the updates are too. Thanks
    Phil

2. Mike N

Mike N Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Are you planning to work on multiple vehicle makes or just GM? GM only, get yourself a Tech 2.

For multiple makes, Snap On makes ok stuff but it has limitations, and is stupid expensive. You can't flash program modules with a Solus or it's big brother, the Modis. I've got a Solus.... it's nice because I can scan ABS, TCM, SRS, TPMS and BCM with it and I have bi-directional capabilities to test solenoids, energize relays, de-activate electric parking brakes, etc....

On the downside, They (Solus & Modis) only come with Domestic and Asian software. Euro software is another $600 - $1000. Yearly updates are in the $1000 range and I don't know if that includes Euro or not.

3. xten

xten Veteran Member

We will be working on anything. I can lease it from Snap-On so it's interest free for 6 mo. 100% write off, which is what I really need. It's good to know it's so versatile. The way I understand it, it does not include the Euro software,which would explain why every time I needed a European one done, it was hard to find someone to do it. Doesn't hardly seem worth it. We really don't work on a lot of European cars. Thanks for the reply Mike.

4. Mike N

Mike N Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

No problem.

Depending how in depth you're getting on diagnostics, you may consider a Modis, since it has a lab scope and graphing capabilities. I think updates are the same price for either.

5. camarolife78

camarolife78 Veteran Member

We have both versions of Autel at our shop, they can scan ANYTHING and each manufacturer's section in the scan tool is based off the OEM software. Both are cheaper than most Snap-On's scan tools. And the updates are a bit cheaper. I would recommend just looking into that before you pull the trigger on anything, its a good alternative.

6. camarochevy1970

camarochevy1970 Veteran Member

7. xten

xten Veteran Member

Thanks again for the replies. I have looked into both brand names.I was told to wait to see the outcome of the Bosch/Autel case. There seems to be a problem there. which may or may not render their updates available. Don't know exactly what that means, but I know how my luck goes. I'll have to talk to my accountant to see how long I have for it to count for this business year. I was fortunate enough to pay off the shop this year, but I'm scrambling for write-offs so I don't get clobbered on taxes. Snap-On is offering a $300 rebate and 6 mo same as cash on a lease, so it makes it more realistic than usual.

8. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

If you aren't planning on working on lots of vehicles or working on one right now, don't buy anything. Code scanners can be expected to become obsolete every few years so having an older one is pretty useless. Wait until you have a need for one and buy a cheap one that will do that one job. Obsolete code scanners are worth less than toilet paper.

9. xten

xten Veteran Member

Yep, the tool guys around here won't even take their own obsolete ones back on trade. I need something good, since a few of the major manufacturers are mandating pre and post collision damage repair scans. Snap-On tech guy was just here. They now offer the Euro as part of the update package. It used to be an extra $600.00 (or so he tells me. IDK). First update is free, there's a $300.00 rebate so I bought it. I haven't signed anything yet but it's here in my shop. Now just wait till Wednesday till my regular Snap-on guy gets here and see if this is all true. Thanks Gary.