Colorado Forum

Discussion in 'Colorado Owners' started by asphaltburner, May 30, 2010.

1. Jerry73Z28

Jerry73Z28 Member

Still here, still here!
    Work is busy, busy, busy, and my laptop at home died - so kind of either posting when I can at work (shhh!) or using my phone at home (I hate using such a small screen).
    Took Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday off last week, spent them (and Saturday) blasting and grinding the Camaro underbody. Haven't updated the project thread yet.
    Hard to believe it was 70's on Saturday, teens and 20's Sunday and today. This is the first snowfall in 13 years that HASN'T fallen on my Camaro!

Stay warm fellas...

2. nutchevy

nutchevy Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Denver going with a back up qb this week. Next round of snow tomorrow their saying.

3. roeville

roeville Veteran Member

Yesterday in Highlands Ranch

F31BF5C5-5282-478F-A410-D05D18213146.jpeg

sparkyboy likes this.
  4. sparkyboy

sparkyboy Veteran Member

Hey there fellas!
    Seems like everyone here is doing well. Reading through some of these posts, business as usual eh? You guys been loving the cold and snow lately like me? It's interesting seeing what other cars guys here build/drive/love. I love old subarus and my bro loves old bmws.
    He has an 88 325ix the first awd from bmw, beast in the snow. She's top notch, fast and handles well.
    However, Germanys best, the ix and audi q90 (center diff lock) cannot keep up with my ej22 swapped 86 subaru gl. The dual range 4wd is the coolest.
    @Jerry73Z28 it sounds like your fall and winter will be filled with Camaro restoration. Awesome!
    Let me ask you a few questions, you say that you are sandblasting and painting the undercarriage- I am nearly at the same point for my camaros resto. Did you or are you going to build or use a rotisserie? I'm just now looking into that, I think using two engine stands will work nicely, but I am thinking of trying to build one out of some wood I have laying around. What's your course of action?
    Also does your camaro have subframe connectors? If not will you be installing a set? I really want to install some on my car and this would be a perfect time to do that. It's my main reason for the rotisserie, plus painting the roof would be much easier.
    Also, you mentioned a citation, how long have you had that car? Please tell me that she's one of those x-1 models, those were one of the coolest of the 80s. I love the chevette, especially the two door. The opel designed years were beautiful, but every year was at least a good looking car, and rwd sub compact? Yes please!
    I have probably the weirdest 80s cars, what you guys know about the original subaru xt?
    Todd aka asphaltburner is coming to visit? That's cool man he's a nice guy, I met him at the century Chevrolet show a couple of years ago. You simply have to wonder how in the world anyone can get a camaro like his loose on an offramp, what with those monster tires and all, the 2nd gen f body handles so well...he said something like she just suddenly started to spin out like gravel or something slick in the road, but i think he was just coming in a bit too hot haha! But man he reeled her in at nearly triple digits, he's worthy of the 70s camaros.
    Us boys need to go to next year's century show!
    That downtown takeover car show at eliches is next month, anyone going? Cars and coffee on Saturday too!
    Did anyone submit a calendar photo? The best background this year by far was my submission, nothing is prettier than the rocky mountains. Except a 2nd gen in the rockies!
    Cheers boys, and have a happy Halloween!

5. Jerry73Z28

Jerry73Z28 Member

Sparkyboy,
    I went the easy way and bought a rotisserie. I got it from Derek Weaver Co - after shopping around it seemed like the best deal, especially given the free shipping. We had to modify a couple of the adapters, but it came with all the adapters we needed, and then some. My plan is/was to use it and then sell it on Craigslist - it seems like I'll be able to get back almost what I paid for it. I've got a feeling it's going to get used for my Dad's Willys bodies after we're done with the Camaro, though! I asked for some help with the mounting in this thread and got some really good tips. I can say that if you're doing the underside of the car, I can't imagine trying to do that without a rotisserie.
    If you're interested, I'm running a Project Thread, titled "1973 Z28 Restoration "Lilith" here on the forums.
    I'm not sure what you mean by subframe connectors, but my plan is to restore as close to stock as I can while keeping it a "budget" build. So if they're aftermarket or not already installed, I'm not planning on installing any. I think I've got a pretty good basic knowledge of what I'm doing, but my Dad is the real pro. He worked on Chevrolets for a lot of years. I'm really having a blast working with him on my car, and his - and think he's enjoying it too.
    The Citation is my Dad's. Kind of a story there. He got an '80 X-11 that was pretty beat up. He saved everything that was "special" for the X-11 and scrapped the rest. Then he found another "regular" '80 Citation, and is planning on putting the X-11 stuff onto that one. Someday.

6. asphaltburner

asphaltburner Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Wow! Snow and cold,...and everyone posted while I was busy!
    Good to hear from so many, all of a sudden! Lots of news,...
    I'll have to look at your project thread, Jerry.
    Thanks for the nice comment, sparky. But let me straighten out that "A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Century Chevrolet Car Show" story,...
    Happily tuning south on I-25 in the left lane with everyone else, at about 85 mph,...
    Traffic decides to come to a complete STOP, all lanes.
    No time, not enough distance for a 1976 brake system, and that stopped burgundy van, in front of me, is comin' up REALLY FAST, despite all the brakes I could muster! Time to throw out a boat anchor,...
    Off with the brakes, downshift from Drive to Low, twisted the wheel a little to the right, and then hard left with all the brakes I could muster.
    Now sideways, median concrete wall directly in front of me. Hooked it left again, and SQUASHED the brake pedal as hard as I could.
    Full stop! Now directly facing all the stopped southbound traffic, perfectly aligned in my left lane, suspension still wiggling,...staring at these two women in their van, with the most amazed look on their smiling faces!
    Wave, shift to Drive, check traffic, spin it around and on to the show!
    After a long silence, wife asks "have you ever done something like that before?",...I assured her, "no, not really",...
    Too bad there's no video!
    It's supposed to warm a bit today! Yay! Too cold, too early,...
    Happy Halloween!

7. Jerry73Z28

Jerry73Z28 Member

WOW. That must have been ONE HELLUVA RIDE!
    Nice driving!

8. asphaltburner

Just damn friggin' lucky,...

9. TheFastForester

TheFastForester Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I should have put A-B behind the wheel of the old dirt cars I used to run

6-23-07 (3).jpg 3-14-2015 (1).jpg

10. asphaltburner

FAR OUT! I could have REALLY enjoyed THAT!
    Always wanted to race, and never have.
    Strip and track. I love it all,...
    Oh, well.