Colorado Forum

Discussion in 'Colorado Owners' started by asphaltburner, May 30, 2010.

1. TheFastForester

TheFastForester Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Mike, I don't. My truck stays out in the weather and my wife's Durango gets garaged most of the time. The Z stays under cover in the garage till it gets nice enough to take it out for a spin :D

2. asphaltburner

asphaltburner Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

DD's,...sorry.
    I garage everything during the winter. And most of the rest of the year, too.
    To avoid the intense sun, occasional hail, wind/dirt, and the wet (frozen or otherwise),...The weather is tough around here.
    Snowing again, right now.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2019
  3. roeville

roeville Veteran Member

Thanks, my daughter moved to Highlands Ranch earlier this year. She asked me because her car is outside a lot because of the hours she works. She got snowed in (over 15”) on Tuesday and couldn’t get to work. Not sure if she’s being dramatic but she’s is definitely not used to the snow.
    Mike

4. asphaltburner

Not many non-4x4, or AWD, vehicles are going anywhere in 15" of snow. Add some ice and some drifting to that, and it presents real problems for most vehicles. And a lot of cities only plow the main roads, neglecting the side roads. Winter driving skills are a necessity in Colorado,...no matter WHAT kind of vehicle you drive!
    My wife, and I, commuted the 20 miles of two-lane road (Hwy 14, or Hwy 85, depending on employment) for over thirty years to get to work, but we have driven in this crap our entire lives. And we drove either AWD, or 4x4, vehicles during the winter. Both of us learned in snow-filled, empty parking lots, in 2WD vehicles. Being able to learn how to control a car in a slide is MUCH easier if you are NOT in traffic!
    If your daughter is not used to driving in the snow, perhaps this advice will help her,...
    Todd.

5. roeville

roeville Veteran Member

Thanks Todd. The one thing my daughter and her husband did before they moved to Colorado was to trade in their old cars and get 2 AWD vehicles but it doesn’t make up for their lack of experience for driving in the snow. They’re both adjusting to the weather conditions — a lot different than Anaheim CA.

6. Jerry73Z28

Jerry73Z28 Member

I've been in NE Colorado my whole life (except when away in the Navy), and I called in a snow day Tuesday. No shame there. Only a few people who live close came to work that day. Neither my Dart nor pickup get garaged (I don't have one), so they're in the weather all the time.
    My wife came from Georgia, had to adjust to driving in the snow. The biggest thing to remember is SLOW DOWN. If the weather and roads are bad, go 10mph slower than the top speed you're comfortable with. AWD may help you get going, and may even help keep the car on the road, but ALL CARS have 4 wheel brakes. AWD/4WD means nothing when you're trying to stop.

7. asphaltburner

Jerry states the truth,...My suggestion was going to be "learn to drive, without using the brake" (or, nearly no brake). First thing that occurs, when you step on the brake in snow and ice, is that the front wheels lockup, and you have no steering. Braking MUST occur before turning the wheels,...
    Slowing down is great advice, and so is BACKING OFF! Everyone wants to "tailgate", even in bad weather,...dangerous!
    "Steer into the slide", but that needs to be learned in an empty parking lot filled with snow,...kinda fun actually.
    See if they'll take this advice, Mike.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2019
  8. roeville

roeville Veteran Member

Sounds like excellent advice you guys, thanks!