Compact truck ?

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by Led Zep, May 4, 2014.

1. Led Zep

Led Zep Veteran Member

My mom is wanting to buy a used small truck.Looking at all brands except Dodge.Something around 10 years old,nothing older than a 2000,and with around 100K on the odometer.Budget would be anything under 7K.Only requirements, 2WD,auto,and AC.This is a second car,not a primary driver.

What to avoid?Did any of the Ford Rangers have spark plug issues(breaking off in head,etc.)This is not a bash,just what to avoid on most models of any make.Thanks.

2. 496z28

496z28 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Colorado is a good truck, so is the Ranger.. Ive had both..

3. onelapduster

onelapduster Veteran Member

I don't think the Rangers had the spark plug issue. That was with the 5.4 Triton engines having plugs break off in the head due to minimal head threads.

I would look for a little Mazda B series truck, Toyota Tacoma or Nissan Frontier.

4. RS1979

RS1979 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

The Ranger or the Tacoma are a good pick. Ford used Mazda engines in the Ranger. I didn't have any trouble out of mine.

5. 57Plymouth

57Plymouth Veteran Member

Why not an S-10?

6. Chevrolaine

Chevrolaine Veteran Member Gold Member

Agreed. See far more of them still on the road than the others mentioned.
    Some great deals on em out there also.

7. Aceshigh

Aceshigh Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Agreed.

Best in class will be the Tacoma, and they hold their value.

8. BMR Suspension

BMR Suspension Veteran Member

The Plug Problem is with 5.4 Tritons. The Early 2 Valve Version 1998 didn't have enough Thread and blow the Plugs out of the Head. This was corrected by the middle of 99. The 3 Valve Version of the 5.4 Triton (2002 or 3) has the Plug Breaking problem - The Plug goes down into the Head about an inch. There is gap that fills with Carbon and when you try to remove the Plugs, they can and very often break, resulting in a $1500-$2000 Spark Plug Job.

For a Small Truck I would go Toyota Tacoma

9. tom3

tom3 Veteran Member

Any of the three popular small trucks would be fine. These trucks have/had been around long enough to have the bugs worked out, except maybe the early Colorado/Canyon. But the main factor is previous ownership. Finding one that has been cared for and not ready to rust apart is the thing.

10. 91chevywt

91chevywt Veteran Member

Ranger owner checking in. Own a 2006 2wd, 2.3 4cyl, reg cab, short bed, auto trans, and A/C. Base model otherwise. Love the truck, had it since new, won't be getting rid of it. No spark plug issues, changed them twice at 40k mile intervals, has approx 93k miles on it now and the truck is still in like-new condition except for some rock chips. Feel free to ask me any questions if you are interested in something like what I have. I'm a big fan of the Ranger personally, but respect all other small trucks around.

Depending on what you need out of your truck, you will find that the SUV counterpart can be bought significantly cheaper than the pickup version. S10 blazer is cheaper than the pickup, 1st and 2nd gen explorers are cheaper than rangers, etc and you can get more options if you are interested in that type of thing. Plus they haven't been used as a truck. The trucks maintain more value, though.