Considering 5.3 Swap .. Few questions (yes I've searched)

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by evilWS6, Feb 15, 2015.

1. evilWS6

evilWS6 Veteran Member

Hey ladies and gents!

I've finally been putting together a list for an LS swap into the '73 Camaro. There's currently a 350 in there, and I miss the crap out of my LS1 camaro/trans am's .. so I've been wanting that motor back, but I'm not willing to give up the car for one!

I just have a few questions I'd like to double check/have answered with you guys just to be sure I'm not missing anything. I looked through the sticky's and LS1Tech but a lot of the links are dead or not much to read about for an early 2nd gen.

Here's my plan:

• 5.3 block mounted to my TH350 for now until i get tired of it down the road and swap in a T56. (no rush, city around here sucks) This will allow me to retain the trans, cables, and driveshaft for now.

• 98-02 Camaro/Firebird oil pan, Mild cam, supporting valvetrain, LS6 intake, ported stock TB, stock fuel rails/injectors, either stock camaro manifolds or hooker headers, unsure of exhaust system at this point.

• Holley HP (or similar if you guys have suggestions) inline fuel pump with filters and regulator.

• Holley engine mount plates

That's all I got for now.

Now for the questions:

1. Can I use my stock '73 radiator and mount electric cooling fans on it? Or do I need a new radiator?

2. Can I use an inline fuel pump without adding a sump to the tank, or do I need a sump?

3. Can I use my factory fuel line, or do I need to run all new lines?

4. Can I use factory 98-02 Camaro/Firebird accessories (starter, alternator, power steering pump) without needing all these unsightly brackets like the truck accessories need? I will not be running AC.

5. How do I go about mounting my TH350 to the LS? I believe I remember reading I need a different flex plate, spacer, and longer bolts.

6. Will a 98-02 Camaro/Firebird oil pan fit?

7. Will my factory '73 power brake booster work, or do I need to swap in a smaller one?

8. What have you guys used for electrical? Factory PCM with harness? Painless? Holley EFI? I'm unsure which route to go here, and I haven't hit the lotto yet so the Holley EFI isn't looking so well!

I think that's it for now. Please don't hate me if any of these were redundant, I searched I swear!

Thank you everyone!

2. reedld

reedld Veteran Member

I bought my car with the swap already done...but I may help...

I think you need to re-look on LS1tech as well as transamcountry. A guy named Ryan did a very informative build. He took lots of pics...last I looked, transamcountry was down, not sure why.

http://transamcountry.com/community/index.php?topic=54130.0

There are plenty of builds on here as well. the guys here are super nice...plenty of information here.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2015
  3. evilWS6

evilWS6 Veteran Member

Thank you for your response, definitely helped! Your alternator and power steering pump are in the factory location on the motor? What kind of tank did you go with?

I was planning on going with the Holley engine plates (clamshell style for 73) I wonder if the F-body pan fits with those.

4. reedld

reedld Veteran Member

Yes, accessories are factory and in the factory location, check out my photobucket link or my build. the tank is a factory fbody...new...I had a reverse top hat put in the top so the factory 4th gen pump setup didn't hit the trunk. I chose new tank because I didn't want to cut into a used tank. I ended up selling my old "sumped" tank to a guy in Rochester.

5. sbca96

sbca96 Veteran Member

Since you have a 1973, you wont be able to do the 4th Gen fuel pump like Leon
    since he has a later 2nd Gen with the taller tank. You have two "low cost" type
    options .. a Spectra tank (with pump) or buy the Edelbrock surge tank setup. If
    you dont want to touch the stock tank and plumbing you can use the Edelbrock
    but the 5.3 wont have a mech pump, so you would have to add a low pressure
    electric inline pump to feed it. The Spectra will be less expensive, but you have
    to redo your lines. Either way you are spending money.

If you are going to spend the coin, use a 4L60E and dump the 3 spd, at least it
    will suck a little less fuel when you drive it.

Painless recently dropped their pricing, just FYI.

Tom

6. reedld

reedld Veteran Member

Crap...good point about the 73 tank Tom! There are other shorter fuel buckets out there...I seem to recall someone using one out of a Ford van in a second gen.

EDIT: found it!

http://www.nastyz28.com/forum/showthread.php?t=209472&highlight=FUEL+TANK

7. hot72rod

hot72rod Veteran Member Gold Member

redid nice car.

evilWS6, I'm in the middle of this swap right now. If you want to use the f-body placement of the brackets dirty dingo makes 2 brackets that will do this on a truck motor and save a little money over the GM brackets.

8. evilWS6

evilWS6 Veteran Member

Hey thanks for the replies fellas!

hot72rod - you just signed yourself up for a bunch of questions! :D

• The dirty dingo brackets will literally use the same locations, just cheaper?
    edit: ah, I see.. these retain the factory truck positions on the 5.3

• What engine mount plates are you going with?

• Can I get away with an F-Body oil pan or should I go another route like a Holley pan?

• What are your plans for the fuel, cooling, and electrical system?

• Are you using your factory brake booster or do you need a smaller one?

Sorry for the interrogation lol. Thanks man!

9. hot72rod

hot72rod Veteran Member Gold Member

• The dirty dingo brackets will literally use the same locations, just cheaper?
    edit: ah, I see.. these retain the factory truck positions on the 5.3
    The brackets I used put the truck ass. in the f-body location. here is the 2 part number's I used. DD-LS-ALT-LM and DD-LS1-PS, these 2 brackets were $139.98. Here is a pic to show what they look like bolted up.
    [​IMG]

• What engine mount plates are you going with?I went with the BRP Muscle rods LS swap kit, This kit came with the motor mounts and the trans mount

• Can I get away with an F-Body oil pan or should I go another route like a Holley pan? I will be using the f-body pan. Granted I haven't gotten to the point of bolting it on yet.

• What are your plans for the fuel, cooling, and electrical system? I believe I'm going to go with the spectra fuel tank, Griffin LS swapped rad with the stock LS fans and for the electrical I'm using the stock computer with an RCI harness

• Are you using your factory brake booster or do you need a smaller one?Now this is a whole other issue that I'm dealing with that most people doing the swap don't tend with. I'm going to be using hydro boost system. So I will not have a brake booster.

Here is the specs on the motor I'm using
    2004 6.0 LQ4, with LS1 intake and fuel rail with a DBC throttle body, backed be a 4L60E trans.

There's a lot of different way to go about doing a LS swap and I'm not going say my way is best or cheapest, but so far I like how everything has gone together.

10. evilWS6

evilWS6 Veteran Member

Thanks for your response man, and thank you for the pat numbers! I like that, that's exactly where I want the accessories to go - just like the stock F-body positioning. I think that looks cleanest, I'm not a big fan of the truck alternator sticking way up in the air. I guess I'm just accustomed to it because of all the LS1 F-Bodies I've had. Good luck with your swap!

Does anybody have any idea if I can keep my stock rad (if I keep the Th350) and if I can keep my current brake booster?