Considering 5.3 Swap .. Few questions (yes I've searched)

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by evilWS6, Feb 15, 2015.

1. mrvedit

mrvedit Veteran Member

I am confident that the Holley accessory bracket will fit with a standard hood because it is a knock-off of the Vette accessory bracket which keeps everything very low. The big advantage the Holley bracket has over the GM Vette bracket is that the Holley bracket is available with optional ($60?) spacers to space the accessories to the F-Body or Truck position. The Holley bracket by itself gives you Vette spacing.

You need to decide on your spacing - Vette, F-Body or Truck as this will determine which balancer, water pump and tensioner you need.
    I don't think the Truck water pump will clear a stock hood. (Correct?)
    My LS2 included the truck accessories even though the seller had run F-body accessories in his street/strip car. I had no trouble selling the truck accessories at a good price and buying F-body accessories.

If you need to buy a new water pump you might consider the new Edelbrock one, partly because the heater hoses are threaded and not pressed-in barbs which get very close to the Gen-2 control arms.

2. TheMeat

TheMeat Veteran Member

3. evilWS6

evilWS6 Veteran Member

Ahhhh, I see. I thought I could just use the truck alternator and p/s pump, and just grab an f-body water pump but then the pulleys won't line up, correct? So looking at Holley's PDF, it seems the truck alternator works with every setup. So if I'm looking at this correctly, I can do:

1. Truck alternator, f-body - p/s pump, balancer, water pump, and tensioners PLUS 21-2 install kit for medium belt alignment.

or

2. Truck alternator, corvette - p/s pump, balancer, water pump, and tensioners with no installation kit needed. However, I imagine the vette parts will be more expensive.

I cross referenced the water pumps, seems the Vette and F-Body use the same one?

TheMeat- thank you for that! What manifolds/headers are you using?

4. TheMeat

TheMeat Veteran Member

I was using Headman 2" headers with my Whipple. Currently, the car is getting a turbo so they are for sale.

5. jb451

jb451 Veteran Member

Hey man, check out my swap if you havent already, i did things the bootleg way so to speak, other that a few hiccups due to my own doing, car runs just fine. Need to update soon, i've done a few different things to it.

http://www.nastyz28.com/forum/showthread.php?t=283119

6. mrvedit

mrvedit Veteran Member

My stock F-body water pump had a very wide belt area, but I don't remember if it handed F-body and Truck spacing or F-Body and Vette. My new LS3 has an electric water pump and I therefore cannot easily check the stock pump.
    Edit: Looks like the stock F-body water pump also works with Vette spacing. See below.

I don't recall why I didn't go with Vette spacing, but I think the reason was less flexibility. Our cars have a huge amount of space in front of the engine so why not just go with F-body spacing as so many others here have done.

The alternator needs to be compatible with the PCM. A 2002 Alternator just takes a simple activate signal on pin "F". Newer 2006+ alternators take a PWM signal which only 2006+ ECM can generate. Other than that
    I think most F-Body or Truck LSx alternators (but not Vette) are compatible.
    Edit: Oops, it appears that the F-Body and Truck alternators have different mounting.

And yes, I was also thinking about the popular CarShop swap plates but couldn't remember the name.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2015
  7. evilWS6

evilWS6 Veteran Member

The only advantage I'm seeing with using the Vette spacing is that if you use vette accessories, you don't have the purchase the additional $60+ install kit on top of the $160 bracket.

8. mrvedit

mrvedit Veteran Member

Looking at my old OEM F-body water pump, based on the wear pattern it looks like it would also work with Vette spacing, but not truck spacing.

Somehow I still think the Vette spacing might burn you for more than $60.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2015
  9. hot72rod

hot72rod Veteran Member Gold Member

There is a difference between the f body and truck alt. as far as mounting. On the fbody alt. your able to bolt an extra bracket to the back side where you can not on the truck alt.

10. mrvedit

mrvedit Veteran Member

Thank you for the correction. I edited my earlier post.