Considering 5.3 Swap .. Few questions (yes I've searched)

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by evilWS6, Feb 15, 2015.

1. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

I run a Fbody pump on my vette accesories. The water pump bell pulley is wide. When installed on a Fbody the belt rides on the front part and on the vette the back part. The newer vettes have a dedicated pump and all they did was chop the front part of the bell pulley off. The truck should work with the Fbody pump as the only difference is the upper radiator hose location

2. TheMeat

TheMeat Veteran Member

[​IMG]

I have thought about getting this bracket. It places the accessories at the truck/2010+ Camaro offset. Truck Alt, damper, 2010+ Camaro water pump, and PS pump from late 80's GM pickup. It would look cleaner if the bracket was powder coated a dark grey or black.

For now, I am just sticking with my truck accessories.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2015
  3. evilWS6

evilWS6 Veteran Member

Thanks for the info guys! It's a miracle my brain hasn't exploded yet

4. 73Z

73Z Veteran Member

]Hey ladies and gents!

I've finally been putting together a list for an LS swap into the '73 Camaro. There's currently a 350 in there, and I miss the crap out of my LS1 camaro/trans am's .. so I've been wanting that motor back, but I'm not willing to give up the car for one!

I just have a few questions I'd like to double check/have answered with you guys just to be sure I'm not missing anything. I looked through the sticky's and LS1Tech but a lot of the links are dead or not much to read about for an early 2nd gen.

Here's my plan:

• 5.3 block mounted to my TH350 for now until i get tired of it down the road and swap in a T56. (no rush, city around here sucks) This will allow me to retain the trans, cables, and driveshaft for now.

• 98-02 Camaro/Firebird oil pan, Mild cam, supporting valvetrain, LS6 intake, ported stock TB, stock fuel rails/injectors, either stock camaro manifolds or hooker headers, unsure of exhaust system at this point.

• Holley HP (or similar if you guys have suggestions) inline fuel pump with filters and regulator.

• Holley engine mount plates

That's all I got for now.

Now for the questions:

1. Can I use my stock '73 radiator and mount electric cooling fans on it? Or do I need a new radiator?

Should be good to go

2. Can I use an inline fuel pump without adding a sump to the tank, or do I need a sump?

You can run a $85 walbro 255 to the factory pickup all day long without problems if you keep fuel in the tank. I did it for 8 years with my old setup.

3. Can I use my factory fuel line, or do I need to run all new lines?

Factory fuel line can be used as a return and then run a new feed line.

4. Can I use factory 98-02 Camaro/Firebird accessories (starter, alternator, power steering pump) without needing all these unsightly brackets like the truck accessories need? I will not be running AC.

5. How do I go about mounting my TH350 to the LS? I believe I remember reading I need a different flex plate, spacer, and longer bolts.

you can use the stock 5.3 flexplate and have your converter made with a LS front half. The other option is a aftermarket flexplate and converter snout bushing if you are using a old school converter

6. Will a 98-02 Camaro/Firebird oil pan fit?

You can use the 1" setback Carshop mounts and the trans will be in the stock location. I use stock solid sbc mounts with mine. The F body pan fits perfect in that location.

7. Will my factory '73 power brake booster work, or do I need to swap in a smaller one?

as everyone else said you should be good to go.

8. What have you guys used for electrical? Factory PCM with harness? Painless? Holley EFI? I'm unsure which route to go here, and I haven't hit the lotto yet so the Holley EFI isn't looking so well!

Holley HP is the only way togo IMO i am a distributor and have sold prob 10 kits locally in the past year with 0 unhappy customers. On a budget you could run a walbro 255 ($85) using the factory pickup without trouble. I did it for years with my old setup.

I think that's it for now. Please don't hate me if any of these were redundant, I searched I swear!

Thank you everyone![/QUOTE]

Last edited: Feb 28, 2015
  5. evilWS6

evilWS6 Veteran Member

Thanks man! I'm a bit unfamiliar with fuel systems, and I'm going outside to my car to look at a few things soon.. what is the purpose of a return line? Does it send back unused fuel?

I was looking at the newer style pumps and seeing the returns/vents and all that and was wondering. To google!

6. mrvedit

mrvedit Veteran Member

The fuel pressure has to be regulated to exactly 58 psi; this requires a regulator with return line. Many regulators are near the tank (maybe even in the tank) and the return line is then very short (or in the tank). You then just need one feed line to the engine which is what most LS cars have stock.
    The fuel pressure will go down a bit at WOT, but the tune simply compensates for that.

Others prefer to have the regulator on the fuel rails so that you always have exactly 58psi; this then requires a return line to the tank. The tune will be slightly different.

Another option is to have the regulator reduce pressure with high manifold vacuum. The idea is that the fuel pressure difference between the intake manifold and the outside is always 58psi. This requires a completely different tune for the Injector Flow Table. This option would also require a regulator near the engine and a long return line.