Converter out of balance?

Discussion in 'Transmission & Driveline Topics' started by ULTM8Z, Oct 21, 2019.

1. ULTM8Z

ULTM8Z Veteran Member

So I got the transmission back in over the weekend with the new Hughes 22-25L converter. Everything runs good and I love the 2500 rpm stall (though in my car it's probably around 2200). For one thing, with the looser converter the tendency to want to creep forward at idle is gone and it shifts in and out of gear a lot smoother too.

Only thing I'm noticing is that there seems to be this very minor vibration that comes in and out as I go between 2000 and 3000 rpm. It's noticeable in neutral sitting in the driveway, which leads me to be believe its the converter. The way I would describe it is if someone in the next car over had a very loud bass in his stereo and you'd feel your car vibrating a little as a result.

I've already verified I don't have any clearance/interference issues.

I'm going to try a few things before I do anything else, like unbolt the converter from the flex plate and rotate it over by one bolt and see if that cures it. I have 3 bolts, so I'll try each one. Maybe just some strange interaction between the two in their current relationship.

But I guess my overall question is, if it comes down to it and I have to replace the converter, do I have to completely drop the transmission to get the converter out on a 2nd gen? Has any one simply pulled the transmission back in the tunnel and slipped the converter on and off? It's huge pain trying to wrestle the tranmission between the exhaust pipes and stuff.

Has anyone heard of a Hughes converter being out of balance? Going to call them today and get their take.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2019
  2. camaro71/holland

camaro71/holland Veteran Member

Rotating the TQ would also be the first thing I would try.
    You won't have enough space to push the tranny back in the tunnel as it will run against the firewall. And then, weather you pull it or drop it, all the work/preps remain the same, so no advantage to be found there.

3. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

You may get lucky by rotating the converter but it's not a guaranteed fix. (I've seen it help and I've seen it fail.)

I've been able to swap converters without dropping the tranny... 5-6" long bolts at the lower mounting points will allow you to slide the transmission back to change it. You will still need to disconnect the driveshaft, cooler lines and loosen the headers to rotate them out of the way to clear the transmission "ears" but it's still easier than completely removing the transmission.

You will also need to unbolt the crossmember and tilt the transmission downward to move it back far enough.

4. jeff swisher

jeff swisher Veteran Member

Buddy got a converter that was not only out of balance but was out of round.
    Sort of out of round.. the way they stuck it together you could spin it and it had over 3/8" of runout.
    Shook the snot out of the little 305.
    I unbolted it from the flexplate and fired up the engine and it was smooth as glass.
    This was a rebuilt trans and converter 700R4.
    Took the converter into the shop that did the work for him and they called BS but persistence made them give us a different converter and all was fine.

You may be able to check runout on yours and see if it is out.

5. ULTM8Z

ULTM8Z Veteran Member

I'm actually kinda surprised... everything I've heard about Hughes, they're supposed to be a really good converter company.

6. ULTM8Z

ULTM8Z Veteran Member

Yeah disconnecting stuff is not a problem and is pretty easy. What's a huge pain is having to deal with the exhaust system in dropping the transmission all the way to the floor.

7. ULTM8Z

ULTM8Z Veteran Member

Just called Hughes. They said it could be problem with the piston that generates the lockup within the converter, but was skeptical the converter is overall out of balance since everything get balanced before going out the door. I don't know enough about these things to know whether this is possible or not...

Any rate, I ordered the converter through Summit, so at least worst case I can send it back for a new one.

8. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

I don't know if you will be able to slide it back far enough with the Gear Vendors unit still bolted to the tail of the transmission... I've never dealt with that scenario.

Good Luck!

9. ULTM8Z

ULTM8Z Veteran Member

I'll have to take the GV off... it's pretty easy

10. jeff swisher

jeff swisher Veteran Member

When i build a car I think about parts replacement.
    I did a crossover pipe 1 time in one of my cars.
    Dropping the transmission took way longer.
    Before the exhaust crossover I could swap a converter out in 45 minutes.
    I have never built another vehicle with a crossover or X pipe and exhaust is ran to clear starter and oil filter removal.

Things to think about if you like less headaches.