Converting to an LS motor and .......... transmission

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by russelljones48, Feb 12, 2019.

1. russelljones48

russelljones48 Member

Dec 23, 2015
    mooresville nc
    OK, this conversion will be a slow one... I've picked the motor and it's underway. My next steps are to find the accessories needed (right now what oil pan?) and to figure out what tranny to use.

Here's what info I have at the moment:

5.3 aluminum block bored and stroked to a 383 ci. All forged internals with aftermarket cathedral heads. I'm trying to keep the whole project under $13k so the engine will be carburated (with my SBC set up) first. My goals for this engine are weight reduction over my 383 aluminum headed SBC and to have the crank power at around 500hp/500 ftlbs. My builder has a similar engine that dyno's at about those numbers.

my 1970 has a fully upgraded suspension and brakes - for autox and spirited street driving so it's pretty low. I will end up with about $7,000 in the motor so I have about $6k left for a 5 or 6 speed trans and the bits and pieces to get it all running (BW 4 speed will be replaced - 12 bolt 373 rear with stay).

My next purchases will be the oil pan which I can't find a GM part number for the 5" deep pan, a good used intake manifold and I'm trying to find a good used T56 or TR6060 to keep costs down.

Responders please keep my limited budget in mind. I have rudimentary fabrication skills that are getting better and access to reasonably priced resources (Mooresville NC area)

2. russelljones48

russelljones48 Member

Dec 23, 2015
    mooresville nc

HERE"S A GOOD POST ON LS PANS:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversions-hybrids/817787-lsx-oil-pans.html

3. mrfleet12

mrfleet12 Veteran Member

Aug 8, 2014
    West of Chicago IL
    This is what I used, I got it from a Chevy dealership in Kansas, would have to look at my receipts..
    F-Body
    Camaro / Firebird
    Capacity: 5.5 qts
    Oil pan , List Price $266.39: 12628771
    Oil pump pickup: 12558251
    Windage tray: 12558253
    Dipstick tube: 12551577
    Dipstick: 12551581
    O-ring for Oil pump pickup: 12557752

4. Goat

Goat Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jun 7, 2001
    moncure, NC
    Welcome. Mooresville? You're already in the mecca of motorsports! I have spent half my retirement savings at DSE and a bunch more at Kooks.

Anyway, the f-body oil pan is all you should need. Fits my 70 with the DSE sub-frame just fine. Lots of knowledgeable people around here that have done LS swaps.

5. russelljones48

russelljones48 Member

Dec 23, 2015
    mooresville nc
    thanks to you both. that part number is the one I was unable to find... most seem to be using the 8" depth GM "F body" pan which might be too deep for my set up. I looked closely at the DSE front end but after I added the other components brakes steering etc. and considered what damage I might cause taking off the newly painted and restored front clip I decided to go a more traditional (and much cheaper route.) I have Speed Tech tubular lowers, SPC uppers (to get 6 degrees of caster), Viking DA coil overs, extended upper ball joints and 13" Corvette/Camaro brakes. All aluminum subframe bushings with a connector and composite rear leafs with matching Viking DA shocks. Steering box is the lightweight NASCAR Delphi 13:1 unit with a KRC pump. I still have to add the rear sway bar and 11.5" Gen 3 Camaro discs in back...

6. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

May 4, 2001
    Las Vegas, NV
    With all my LS swap in the 70-81 Camaro, I have always used the factory 98-2002 Camaro oil pan. Fits perfectly fine and it can still be bought new (I think even Mr. Gasket makes one too).

I would highly re-consider your fueling options. You may think a carb is cheaper, but it may not be. A factory injection system can be done on a budget and I think you will surely appreciate the FI over the carb. The only fast ball here...what cam did you choose?

As for a fuel pump...You can use a in-line pump with the corvette pressure/fuel filter...all I'm saying is there are many options out there that don't cost much and leaves you room to upgrade later.

7. mrfleet12

mrfleet12 Veteran Member

Aug 8, 2014
    West of Chicago IL
    Dug up the invoice for my pan, came from Hendrick Chevy in Merriam Ks. 913-384-3115, they were there cheapest I found and had everything in stock.
    Pan, gasket, pick up tube, etc.

8. russelljones48

russelljones48 Member

Dec 23, 2015
    mooresville nc
    I'm also familiar with Kooks. My wife's DD is a 2017 Chevy SS with a full Kooks exhaust, King springs, a CAI and a PCM tune... Do you go to Bruster's - would like to meet up if you're game..

9. russelljones48

russelljones48 Member

Dec 23, 2015
    mooresville nc
    I'd love to go with an FI but my estimate to revise the tank and fuel system is over $2000 whereas the manifold and MSD ignition upgrade (since I have a good carb) would be about $700. Your thoughts on a budget approach would be appreciated - I am familiar with the GM filter/regulator combo but I've looked at some budget approaches and do feel that that's a reasonable estimate for a budget FI and ECM set up along with the fuel supply mods.. I don't have a donor engine so I'd be purchasing used for most components..

10. russelljones48

russelljones48 Member

Dec 23, 2015
    mooresville nc
    Cam is: 238/242 @.6 on 112 degree ctrs- so a moderate grind.